Error with GetUsersByGroup in process

Badge +2

Hi,

I was trying to use the [AD User 2].GetUsersByGroup SmartObject method in a process to check the originator's membership to an Active Directory group, however the process throws the following error:

28083 ServerEvent: Message: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted; ServiceName: ADService2; ServiceGuid: 83ac8763-ab63-4f86-8bc8-9bde8729b735; InnerExceptionMessage: ; 

InnerException: An unexpected error has occured while trying to resolve a value for Resolver ID 59F5D9BC-3B14-45ca-9C94-6FCB3C4D862F.

InnerException: Message: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted; ServiceName: ADService2; ServiceGuid: 83ac8763-ab63-4f86-8bc8-9bde8729b735; InnerExceptionMessage: ; 

The ServiceObject seems correctly configured and I can make the same call successfully via the SmartObject Services Tester (see below).  If there anything easy I should look at?  Is there a better technique to work out whetehr a user is a member of an Active Directory group within a process?

Thanks

Peter

16202i3359462A1A6E3D54.png

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Peter

Just a suggestion but try adding the domain name to the group name when executing the method in your workflow (i.e. domaingroupname). Even though it works without the domain in the smartobject tester I have seen instances in the past of different behaviour when executing AD methods in workflows vs SMO tester.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Got exactly the same problem myself, migrated a project across from one server to another and getting same error.

I've also tried editing the workflow and manually entering the group name as domaingroupname, but it still errors in workspace:

Message: object reference not set to an instance of an object: Servicename: adservice2;serviceguid:xxxxx-x-x-xxxx-x-x-xxxx: innerexceptionmessage

Works fine in the Tester Tool, but just will not execute via the form/process

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Is there perhaps involvement of multiple domains?  If so, usually the AD Service 2 service instance will need to be configured to recognized all domain.

http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2blackpearl/userguide/4.6.11/webframe.html#AD03.html

The sequence of the LDAP entries must correspond with the NETBIOSNAME entries. 

Example:  In this example two domains are configured; Domain1 and Domain2.
     LDAP:                    LDAP://DC=DOMAIN1,DC=COM;LDAP://DC=DOMAIN2,DC=COM
     NETBIOSNAME:   DOMAIN1;DOMAIN2

Another thing to perhaps consider is that there is likely multiple domain controller for a domain (load balanced); perhaps the call is intermittently when hitting a 'downed' node.  If you execute the method multiple times, is it consistent?

One thing that can be done to test is to use the cmd prompt below to list all domain controllers within a domain:

nltest /dclist:denallix.com

Then specify a specific domain controller with the LDAP format:

LDAP://[DomainControllerServerName]/DC=domain1,DC=COM

* test with a few domain controller to see if the behavior is consistent

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

tin,

We have just the one domain.

Just tried using the SmartObject Tester Tool with the same filter (department = a value and that also FAILED.....

So it's the filter causing the issue.

On my current live server, the filter in the Tester Tool returns the results fine.

That nlist is the same on both the servers.

The smartobjecttestertool is 100% consistant, fails on this server, works on the live on.

Why would the filter fail? If i can do a getusersbygroup and get the members returned fine, why would the filter not work? Very strange

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Thank you for the additional details, I was able to recreate this error also.  Without filters it works; but with filter it errors.

I would log a ticket with K2 for further investigation.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

So it failed for you as well tin? How bizarre,

Can i ask what version of blackpearl you did this on?

It's failing for me on the new v4.7, it works ok on 4.6.11...... just wondering if it's a newly introduced bug... But if it was, surely basic filtering this would have been tested before release ;- /

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

I am also using version 4.7 in which this error is replicable.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Just completed an in-place upgrade on a dev server from 4.6.11 to 4.7 today and same problem on that box also. Worked fine in 4.6.11, now broken in 4.7

Any other people on 4.7 able to confirm as well? The more that confirm, the quicker we might get a fix for this...

Thanks all

Badge +6

Hello Guys,

I have same issue while calling GetUserbyGroup and applying a filter in the smart object call . This is working withought filter.

Is there any solution ?

-

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

This issue was resolved with a fix that is included in the 4.7 February CU.  You can search for 'Service2' in the KB below for details:

https://help.k2.com/kb001805

Do you have any of the 4.7 CU and/or FixPack installed?  The latest 4.7 CU available at the posting of this entry is the August 4.7 CU, which will also have this fix included:

https://portal.k2.com/products/k24-7august2017cumulativeupdate

* a portal account and proper permission is likely necessary to download this CU