K2 Web Designer - Dynamic Destination Users

• 29 February 2008
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

I am working within the K2 Web Designer in MOSS and I am finding it difficult to dynamically set an approver. I know this is used more for business analyst but I wanted to know the upper bounds of what a user have the ability to do.

I have been trying to add the destination user as part of a column in the document library but with no luck.

If anyone has been able to set a dynamic destination user (not the originator) using the K2 Web Designer I would like to hear your solution.

Mike Trouard

3 replies

Badge +7

Hi Mike,

I've done exactly what you've done, In fact i've gone one step further and defined a column that contains multiple users in a MOSS document library.

The key is getting the metadata (the column containing your approver) from the document library into your workflow, you can do this with a SharePoint document wizard.

Once you've retrieved the metadata you can assign it to an XML field in your data fields and assign this user to be the destination user.

You will have issues if you start a workflow and then change the metadata containing the approver... unless you do something clever like retrieve the metadata of the document at each stage of your workflow or create another workflow that updates a SmartObject containing the metadata of the document.

Martin

Badge +4

Martin,

Thanks for taking the time. 

I have defined the same exact approach you described. My next hurdle is setting the destination user to that column containing the approver. When I bring up the designer I am not sure how to add that column as the approver in the K2 web designer.

Mike 

Badge +7

Mike, really sorry for not replying to you sooner :-)

I misread your earlier post....I thought you were using the K2 Studio (Visual Studio), I haven't used the K2 Web Designer interface before, so not sure how to go about this, but i'm sure other people on here do

Can you not get to the code and write your own c# or vb.net? Well, I suppose I could answer my own question with my limited knowledge of it - is this the tool that allows Business Analysts to design a workflow without the aid of a development package? If it is.. I guess you wont be getting access to anything as low level as c# or vb.net.

sorry I can't be of help

Martin