K2 Workspace is Ridiculously Slow - on a DEV environment

• 13 March 2014
  • 3 replies

Badge

It's so slow that it literally prevents me from getting work done.  I only have a handful of processes, so this doesn't make sense.  We created a dedicated SQL server to see if that fixed the problem to no avail.  I'm at my wits end and am beyong frustrated with the K2 product.  Is anyone else having these issues?  

3 replies

Badge +10

No that's not normal behaviour for the K2 Workspace.  Now the K2 Process Portal template in SharePoint is another story but the K2 workspace has always been quick. 

Many moons ago I saw an issue in a multi forest enviornment that caused a long pause every 10 minutes when users refreshed their worklist.  However, I would think that would have been resolved by the identity managment caching built into recent versions of K2.

Another item that could affect overall performance is if your K2 Server has no access to the internet.  This is a .Net issue rather than a K2 issue and could affect other apps like SharePoint as well.  If that's the case take a look at the follwoing section in the help.

Troubleshooting > Performance > Slow startup for K2 components when machine has no internet access

If these issues don't apply to your environment then you'll probably want to create a K2 support ticket so they can investigate what other environment settings may be adversely affecting performance.

Badge +3

You may want to check your log files on the k2 server.  

• Check CPU (K2 Server)
  • Check Memory (K2 Server)
  • Check CPU (SQL box)
  • Check Memory (SQL box)
  • Check K2 Logs (Host Server bin directory)
  • Check Diskspace on both as well.

Sometimes when you have multiple developers on a box someone might turn on logging.  K2 then starts logging everything that is happening.  Make sure your config files only have logging turned on for errors. 

Given that the K2 WorkSpace is an IIS application (if installed on the K2 box) check it as well for any issues in the event log.

Typically if it only takes a second to launch a workflow or read a smartobject but takes for ever for workspace to show up it may not be K2 at all but an IIS configuration.

Badge +8

Curious about the status of this... Can you post info?