adavis
Novice

How to I workflow a document check out?

I'm newer to many of the Nintex workflow components.  Could someone help guide me in the correct way to set the workflow to update multiple items (or single items) on a document library with needing to 'check out' the document first?  I am getting the below error when the workflow runs.  I have verified the item is not checked out.  Thank you!

ErrorThe workflow could not check out the list item. Make sure the item is not already checked out.Unknown error
0 Kudos
34 Replies
Not applicable

Re: How to I workflow a document check out?

Anthony,

Could you please provide some more details on the workflow ( list workflow, site workflow, workflow trigger..etc) and is it only happening only with a specific document?

Assuming that the workflow is a site workflow and lopping through a document library. Check the column "Checked Out to" is not empty then use the action "Check Out Item" check out the document , do the changes and "Check In Item".

Also, "Discard check out" can be used to override a check out if the process demands.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
adavis
Novice

Sure.  It is a library and the workflow is a site workflow.  I have the workflow laid out to 1. query the list, 2. check out the item(s) based on a maturity date column compared to current date, 3. updating the item, and 4. check in the item(s) after updating.  I will give the discard check out a try since there is only one item meeting this criteria today.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
adavis
Novice

Here is the error I received when running the discard check out.  Thank you!

11/16/2015 10:50 AMErrorThe workflow could not discard the check out of the list item. Make sure the item is already checked out.The workflow operation failed because the action requires the document to be checked out.
0 Kudos
melissac
Rookie

HI Anthony,

Have you tried a "Wait for Document to be Check Out" Action or a Commit pending Changes Action?

That my help. If possible can you post a screen shot of the WF, It just makes it easier to understand.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Have to tried checking the check out status before discarding the check out . As Melissa said please post a screen shot along with the document properties.

0 Kudos
adavis
Novice

I was able to get the workflow to work, but I get an error at the end, even though the item change has been made?  Is there a way to validate the item was checked out, updated, and checked back in without getting the error?  The workflow runs, completes the actions set up, but they still spits out a random error.  The 'run if' is filtering based on a maturity date column compared to the current date.  I have a yes/no field that I am trying to update within the items that qualify.  The crazy thing is, the item shows checked out, updated, and checked in.  I also receive the email notification at the end of the workflow.

0 Kudos
melissac
Rookie

I've seen this before I'm tying to jog my memory.  In the Check In Action What are you choosing? if my memory serves me correct I think there is a drop down which says Overwrite etc.

Do you need to Check in the Changes? I do remember when I was doing a similar excise that I choose not to Check in the Item especially since it was giving all kinds of errors.  In my case I didn't need to check them in so I used a discard action instead?

0 Kudos
adavis
Novice

I have the check in from set to the correct list name, the where set up to the doc ID from the collection variable and equal to Doc ID.  There is a check in type, which I have as Major Version, but there is also options for Minor version or No Version Change.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
melissac
Rookie

Exactly I think If you change it to No Version Change It may work.  But I'm not sure if that satisfies your requirement

0 Kudos