Cascading Dropdown in Nintex Forms - SharePoint 2013 (On-Premises)

• 20 February 2017
  • 12 replies

Badge +2

I am trying to achieve "Cascading Dropdown" functionality on a list in "On-Premises" SharePoint Foundation Nintex Forms 2013 (Version :2.9.3.1).  

Had followed all the instructions as provided in the Cascading drop downs and Nintex Forms for SharePoint link, but doesn't seem to be working.  Below are the Lists that I had created:

State  (List 1)

Title

AZ

IL

OR

Stores (List 2, that refers to List 1)

Title         State

PHX            AZ

TUC            AZ

SCH            IL

Created a third List "StoresInState" and included two "Single Line or Text" field to store the values from the State and Stores List.  

In "StoresInState" List, selected the "Configure Nintex Form button from Ribbon", and had included 2 List Lookup Fields, for State and Stores respectively onto the Form. 

For the "State List LookUpField", provided the below settings :

a. Name : MyState

b. Source List: State

For the "Stores" List, provided the below settings :

a. Name: MyStores

b. Source List : Stores

c. Under "Filtering" :

After publishing the form, the values from the "State" list are appearing fine in the "MyState" dropdown and when I select a value in "MyState", the issue is that the "MyStores" drop down isn't populated with any values and remains empty, as per the below image:

Upon digging deep in the Sharepoint Logs, I found the below error, wherein its complaining that the 'State'

02/20/2017 20:25:55.52 w3wp.exe (0x39D8)                       0x1500 Nintex Forms                   Front End                     00000 Unexpected The lookup list 'State' could not be found in web '/sites/TestSite/' with error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     at Nintex.Forms.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseLookupControlV1.get_Web()     at Nintex.Forms.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseLookupControlV1.get_List() 09f6d69d-841f-a07e-a1f9-cec9912b57f3

Out of curiosity, tried to set the Filter for "MyStores" field to "By a specificed value" and defaulted the value to "AZ" (per the below image),

199662_pastedImage_17.png

Upon previewing the form, the values in the "MyStores" are populated with the proper values mapped for "AZ"

199663_pastedImage_18.png

The above testing proves that the Nintex Forms engine is able to connect and apply the filter on one scenario, but isn't able to filter dynamically.  Not sure if anyone else has encountered the above error/scenario and any help/guidance to resolve the issue is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Karthik.

12 replies

Badge +16

OK I would do it slightly different to how you have done it (and have just quickly done so).

So I would do the State list and Stores list exactly the same.

The third list "StoresInState" I would have with two lookup fields - one to State and one to Stores.

Then when you edit in nintex forms the lookup controls are already there for you and you can simply add the filter to stores like this:

199674_pastedImage_1.png

I have just tested it and it works absolutely perfectly.  Let me know if you try this approach and get stuck.

Thanks

Cassy

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

can you post config of State field from Stores list?

can you try to place calculated value control on form and sets it formula to MyState named control and post how does it evaluate?

could you try to distinguish names of "State" list and "State" column just to be sure what object is referred where?

do you by any chance (by a log fragment) use legacy sharepoint's lookup-V1 control instead of nintex one?

could you post screenshot of whole lookup config dialog(s)?

Badge +2

Have tried the above as well and it didnt work in my case :(

Badge +16

Ok I think something more fundamental not quite right then. As Marian requested can you post config of your lookup fields and your lists please? 

Badge +2

Below is the output of the Calculated Field:  (For AZ its set to 1;#AZ, For IL its set to 2;#IL etc.,)

Below is the State Field Configuration in "Store" List:

As suggested, have renamed the field in the "Stores" list to "StateLookUp"

Have updated the "MyStore" Field config with the "StateLookUp" field name:

I don't have experience with "legacy list lookup" and when I googled for more info, stumbled upon this link

https://community.nintex.com/thread/9925.  Not sure if this issue has anything with mine though!

Will try the legacy list lookup as mentioned in this article and update on the results.(https://support.nintex.com/SharePoint/Forms/Importing_the_legacy_List_Lookup_control)

Thanks,

Karthik.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

that all sounds to be set up correctly.

can you try following in addition:

- change the formula of calculated value control to: parseLookup(MyState,true) and give it some name (eg. calcState)

- configure stores lookup control to filter by that calcState calculated vaue control

I would say that will work correctly.

sounds to me to be a bug in that specific form version.

I've tried to setup your scenario and test on lower (2.7.0.0) and higher version (2.9.4.0) and it worked on both.

do you have a chance to test it on other version, preferably newest one?

Badge +2

Still the issue persists.  The parseLookup(MyState,true) does yield the value “AZ” or “IL”.  However, even after configuring the Stores lookup to filter by calcState, it still is blank.

I agree, it looks like a bug (either in our environment) or with the Nintex components installed on the box.  Unfortunately, it’s a production box and wouldn’t be able to install/re-configure other Nintex versions on it.  We have escalated it to the Nintex Support team, with a hope that it can be resolved at the earliest.  Will keep the thread updated when it gets fixed on the rootcause.

Appreciate your time on this one.

Thanks,

Karthik.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

that's really weird.

have you checked developer console, whether there are not reported any errors?

do you still get that error in ULS? how does it looks like after you changed names?

do you have any other lookups on the form?

Badge +2

Finally got the legacy list lookup to be installed on our SharePoint environment and that seems to be working fine without issue.  In the meantime, we are following up with Nintex support to get it resolved for the latest List Lookup control as well.

Thanks for your suggestion on the "Legacy lookup control"!!

Badge +1

Hi Karthik

We are seeing a similar issue.  Did this get resolved by Nintex support?  I've found the legacy version to not be ideal, as the form reloads before the filtered options are shown.

Regards

Matthew

Badge +3

Hi All,

This is an old post, but I just came across something similar with a client.  Turns out for them, they didn't have a root site for the site collection.  Make sure you have a site at the root of the root collections and that each site collection also has a root site.

Badge

I had exactly the same problem. The exact same example worked on Version 2.11.1.0, but failed on Version 2.9.1.20. I solved it by making the lookup column a real SharePoint Lookup column, instead of a plain Single Line Text.

My guess is that the earlier version required the lookup column to be of type Lookup, but in later versions they liberalized it to allow for Single Line Text. And the example used the later version.