How to Create A Form that will Populate Several Fields

• 9 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I'm new to using Nintex and have been tasked with creating a Nintex form for a SharePoint list that has many fields and several are lookups. The SharePoint list is in a one to many relationship, meaning there are multiple records for a person who has a unique serial number. For example a persons (unique serial number) could be in the list 5 times, meaning they have 5 records of participating in X activity.

I would like to use the form to enter a unique serial number for a person and have all their records from the list appear. For each record that appears on the form I'd like to have fields that cannot be edited i.e. start date, end date, location, and status. Additionally for each record there will be fields that can be edited i.e. contact date, contacted by, and notes.

As a novice who has never used Nintex, I have been able to go to List > Nintex Forms and a ready made form of all the fields is visible.

1. What do I need to do to allow multiple records to show in the form? i.e. do I need to duplicate the fields on the form several times?

2. What do I need to do to allow a user to enter the serial number field and have the data from the list populate the persons name, start date, end date, location, and status?

Again, I'm a novice. I'll need to be hand held through the step by step to accomplish this or maybe there is a video that I can reference. I haven't been able to locate one so far.

3 replies

Badge +7

@chasingcrarey 

I don't know how to accomplish this with Nintex forms, but if the records are already in the list, and you just need to update some field values, why not use a datasheet list view, on a list page, with a filter for Serial number?   Just a thought.

@efarley Yes that essentially would do the same thing, however the end user who will be updating just a few fields is on rotation and is not familiar with SharePoint. The idea behind the form is that it will limit the end user from editing data they shouldn't and an interface where they can quickly know where to enter their information without knowing how to use SharePoint.

Badge +7
Ah...sorry I can't help you with a form design for this.