Users can't publish workflows even with full control

• 9 November 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +10

Users are unable to publish workflows. They can create and save them, but when going to publish them they are either getting an error message saying that they don't have permission or they are getting a pop-up continually asking for their credentials. When they cancel out of the pop-up, they are getting a 401 error. When I checked the ULS logs it says that they don't have a windows identity. Claims to windows token service is running just fine. I as a site collection/farm admin am able to publish workflows. I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple, but I can't seem to track it down.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi Amber,

Try going to the Site Settings and clicking on the "Allowed workflow designers" link in the Nintex Workflow section. Make sure the users have the appropriate permissions there and are not excluded. By the default, these permissions inherit from the parent site permissions.

Badge +10

I double checked and it is still inheriting. Everyone trying to publish workflows has either Edit or Full Control.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

I don't know if it is your case, but take a look at this >>> Workflow Failed to Run or Failed to Publish Workflow, after applying Microsoft Update - Nintex Knowledge Base 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Here are some links that might help:

Badge +10

Thanks, but I don't think this is the problem. I applied the fix before applying that patch and workflows are now running. Also, I can still publish workflows.

Badge +10

These seem to be telling me the same thing. That the approved workflow designers should be inheriting permissions (which it is) and that users must have sufficient privileges (they have full control). The last post didn't seem to have a resolution. I'm still stuck.

Badge +5

I think I have the same issue at the moment...

I have a user with Full Control rights on a sub site within a Site Collection. They DO NOT have Full Control access at Site Collection level, only their sub site.

When they publish they're prompted for authentication, which fails and they can't get past the authentication. I can publish the same workflow fine, but I have Site Collection Admin access.

There are Flexi Task actions within their workflow and I'm thinking that when using these it must be publishing or updating the Content Type at the Site Collection in which the user doesn't have access to. Hence not being able to publish but I can. Can anyone else confirm? I'm using for SP 2016.

Thanks!