Cascading Drop Down Single Value Set as Default

• 20 April 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

All,

Nintex Forms 2013

If you implement a set of cascading drop down controls - Cascading drop downs and Nintex Forms for SharePoint  and your second control only has 1 value, how can the 1 value be set as the default value automatically rather than having the form user having to select the value?

Thanks

Andrew

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh that is a good UX feature request. You may want to add that to UserVoice for nintex. But I see where the breakdown is. When the control is being filled and repainted by the browser, the control itself doesn't know how many items are there. I'm sure then you can use custom jQuery code to make it happen, but that is an additional complexity to maintain. What if you change the resulting control to display as a checklist or option buttons instead of a drop down. Does it provide a better user experience?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Andrew,

I'll add a UX feature request.

Whilst a checklist or option button is one way to go, my end users are lazy.

Thanks

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, can't fix laziness. But here is another option. I haven't tested this, so just a theory. 

Create a rule on the second drop down, resulting drop down. If the length of the control is < 2, then hide it. That way the user sees there is no more input required and you can then assume the selection of the single item. 

The issue with this approach is that the control doesn't get a value when saved. So I don't know what side effects that brings to your setup. You could have a workflow update the selection on behalf of the user the same way. If the query of the parent control results to a collection variable only 1 item, then assume its selected and update the list item field. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks,

I’ll play around with the rule, just to see what happens.

I might be able to use the workflow in the future, I guess in my environment, it depends on requirements, which keep changing.

A

Badge +16

Hi Andrew W

Please put a link to the UserVoice suggestion so that anyone who comes across this thread and wants the same thing can vote it up.

Thanks

Cassy

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

If the above is something you'd like to see in a future relese on Nintex Forms - please vote here.