Delegate to multiple people

Badge +9

Is there a way that when the user is assigned a task to delegate the task to more than one person?

I don't want to use the timed delegation option within the workflow or use the sharepoint groups.

Here is the case:

The user is a manager who has a team of 20 people, he wants the option that when a task is being assigned to him to delegate it to only 2-3 team members to work on this task, it could differ from one task to another. So it won't be practical to keep creating groups for each type of task. He also wants to be able to keep the task for himself and do it without having to delegate it.

I thought at first of creating a "Request data" action, where the manager would be required to input the names of the users assigned the task, then create a flexi task with those names. But then if he'll do the task himself, he'll then has to pick his name and then another task is assigned to him to do the actual task... which is too much for what is needed.

Currently the delegate link that shows on the task form only allows to pick one person. Is there a way to change this setting??

Thanks!

11 replies

Badge +16

what if you assign the manager a flexi task with options approve/reject/delegate.  if delegate he has to specify the people to delegate to.  then under the delegate (other branch) of the workflow have another flexi task action assigned to those people?  Something like this:

Badge +16

Badge +9

Hmm.. haven't thought of that before.. Will give it a try.

Thanks Cassy.. :)

Badge +2

Thanks Cassy, this is a great idea. how can we pass the delegated user names to second flexi task? can you share your first and second flexi task screen shots?

Badge +16

in my list i have a person/group field with allow multiple selections checked called "DelegatedTo"

in the initial assign flexi task I customised the form with Nintex Forms and added the SharePoint List control "DelegatedTo" to the form so that when the initial flexi task is assigned the respondent can choose who to delegate the task to if required. Then the second assign flexi task is assigned to "DelegatedTo".  Does that make sense?

Badge +9

Hi Cassy, I did that and then the workflow errors: 

Coercion Failed: Input cannot be null for this coercion.

although i already have some default names on the field, removed some and left couple of them and submitted the form. but it is not passing it to the next step due to this error. I tried to commit pending changes and passing the value to a people variable, then use the variable in the task (assign to field). any idea?

Badge +16

Can you show me some screen shots of your configurations please?

Badge +2

Thank you Cassy,

As you suggested, I've created person/group field called "DelegatTo" with allow multiple selections. Unfortunately we don't have Nintex Forms. So I'm trying to customize the first flexi task in Infopath form. However I couldn't able to add the "DelegateTo" field to the task form. How can i add "DelegateTo" control to the form? Please guide me? 

Thank you.

Badge +16

oh dear InfoPath and task form customisation don't work well together in my opinion (in that I have never been able to do it correctly!!).  This means that you won't be able to choose the delegate to people on the response form where the respondent chooses to delegate - unless someone else on the community has managed this sort of thing with InfoPath ‌????

Badge +2

Thank  you so much for your time. 

Badge +9

I did some troubleshooting and was able to fix the issue. it was sharepoint related.