Make a person wait before they are able to create a new item in a library...

• 15 March 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Folks,

Suppose a person creates a request for leave. That request workflow is interacting with and calculating in their "Time Bank" (separate list). I want them to have to wait to create another leave request until the changes in the time back are complete in the previous request. Any ideas on a strategy to make this happen?

Thanks,

Patrick Kelligan

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello -

What about removing or lowering permissions from the list while it is being processed? The only warning that I would keep in mind is this may affect the user's ability to commit things back to the list.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Jesse McHargue,

Thanks for responding! That might work but it gets a little tricky as you say with other workflows the individual may have running... unless there was a strategy to make a workflow wait for permissions before moving on with an action (all actions).

Regards,

Patrick

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

There is a wait until update action that you could leverage, but would need to set something up and monitor it while adjusting permissions.

So something like a list column of hasPermissions (Y/N) and if =='N' wait until =='Y'. Might be crude and would need tested/validated but I think the logic is there happy.png

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thanks Jesse McHargue, I will give that some thought.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Jesse McHargue,

Can you elaborate on the "List Columns"? Is this something different than an Item level column?

Thanks,

Patrick

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Patrick Kelligan -  No, this is nothing special, just a column in a list.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

OK. Thanks for the clarification.