How do I seek approval from repeating approvers field in Nintex form 2016 and Sharepoint 2016 on pre

Badge +4

I need to allow my users to add in repeating rows of approvers and to trigger workflows to each of this approvers to seek approval on a custom list. I am not able to access to the part 1 of this 2 part article https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-Workflow-Cloud/Part-2-Work-with-repeating-section-data-from-SharePoint-based/ta-p/218469

Is there a quick solution instead of coding in xml and html ?

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

@JRoberts, can you check why Part 1 is not available? 

Part 1: Work with repeating data from SharePoint based Nintex Forms 

Access Denied

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @llyehock 

1. Create the Form. Add a repeating section control. Connect the repeating section to a SPO 'multiple lines of Text' column - lets name it as ApproverList

You can use a People Picker control (easier for users) or a Short-Text control to store emails.

While the People Picker just display the names, it actually stores Login ID, Display Name, Email and the developer has to do more work to extract the email.     

2. In Nintex Workflow, You need to extract the List of emails from the SPO column ApproverList.

Use the XML Query action. Save the result to a collection variable colResults.

The content of colResults is ("email1@a.com", "email2@a.com", "email3@a.com")

## How is the Approval Process? 

Serial or one-by-one using the Assign Task or

Serial or one-by-one or Parallel or all-at-once using the Start a Task Process?

All approved response, first approved response... @llyehock ,for you decide.

3. Create a For-Each loop to act on the variable colResults

Get the first value from the variable colResults - "email1@a.com"

Insert this value into a Task Assign To field. 

Process the outcome. Done

If outcome is a REJECT, we could stop processing further approvals.

Get the second value... "email2@a.com"... Process in the loop

Get the last value... process and exit the loop

NOTE: There is more than one way for the loop portion. I merely suggested a single method. 

Hope this helps

Badge +4

Thank @Garrett @Garrett, may I ask where do I obtain the xml url to fill into the Query Xml

What do I put for the xpath value?

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hi @Garrett  and @llyehock 

There was a problem with the link in the Part 2 article. I have corrected it so you will be able to access it now to view Part 1:    https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-Workflow-Cloud/Part-1-Work-with-repeating-section-data-from-SharePoint-based/ta-p/218284  

cc @JRoberts 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @llyehock 

The XML Source is from the SPO 'multiple lines of Text' column which I named as  ApproverList.

Click Advance Lookup

Equals List Lookup

Source Current Item

Field ApproverList (SPO multiple lines of Text) (Ignore NFFormData in the image below)

Hopes that helps. I appreciate a kudos too, haha

Badge +4

I have created the multiline text as plain text in my list, however the repeating section data is not getting saved to my sharepoint custom list. When I re edited the item, my data in repeating section is gone ie it was not saved in the first place, wonder what I m missing here?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

@llyehock Did you connect the Repeating Section to the SPO List?

SharePoint Column

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi all,

Woops! My apologies for the broken link. I accidentally used the article's draft link instead of the published link there. I had both of those articles rolling at the same time during the edit and thought the links would carry over when published.  🙂 Thanks for catching it and thanks to @MillaZ for fixing. 

Jason

Badge +4

Yes, @Garry @ i did.

I realised that the xml get filled if i remove the xml field away from the form.

Wonder if this is a bug?

I am not able to show the nodes using the xpath button on the xml query when i reference the xml filed as input?

How do i give you kudos, as the kudos button is greyed out?

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hi @llyehock 
Does anything happen when you click on the Thumb on the Kudo button?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @llyehock 

1. FYI, that's not me that you are referring to... 

2. Click the orange hand icon in any of my replies that was relevant and helpful to you.

3. For the XPath Query, read Part 1 of the article - Part 1: Work with repeating section data from Shar... - Nintex Community.  That should give you some guidance.

4. If you are still stuck, perhaps you could share the full XML field and what you are using for the XPath Query?

Badge +4

I like to find out the easiest way to populate the risk matrix in MS word format from a repeating groups within Nintex form as shown below

Into this format

Badge +4

Hi,

strange that I get access denied error when i tried to read up on part 2?

Badge +4

Hi all,

when I tried to fill up the Query XML Action within my workflow I was not able to see the xml tree structure within the XPath builder, wonder where have I gone wrong?

The XML source = XML,

The XML, I have inserted the multi line of text as the source field

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @llyehock 

You can access the links here for Part 1  and Part 2  

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

The XML appears in your SharePoint List.

On your Classic Form, your Repeating Section should connect to a multi-line text SP column. 

On your SP List, show the SP column.

After you submit a new form, there should be data in the SP column

Badge +4
We need to copy the xml and paste to the xml box before the xpath builder button shows the xml nodes.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi

@llyehock 

Look for the tags <RepeaterData><Items><Item><guid>  (New Responsive form)

Look for the tags <RepeaterData><Items><Item><Name> 
The Guid is the unique identifier of your repeating section controls. You need to know which control value that you want to extract. I believe your SP and Form will refer to NAME and not GUID

I suggest you key in some specific keywords into the desired control, then view the XML to identify the exact guid which contains your keywords.

Without looking at the form and not knowing which field that you need to extract, it’s difficult to provide you with the XPath Query

Refer to this https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-Office-365-Forum/Query-XML-An-exception-occurred-while-processing-parameter/td-p/219094