Getting to the right panel

Badge +8

Hello.  I have a fairly complex form with many controls grouped in panels.  Although the idea of panels is great I need some advice about manipulating them. Specifically:

1. Unless I leave a little extra space within a panel to "select it" (e.g., to reposition it) I can't get to it. I've found that the only way to do this is to move one of the controls to the side, which exposes the panel. Isn't there a better way? Sending to forward or back doesn't seem to help.
  2. I have at least 10 panels so finding my way among them is important.  Yet, when I look at the "Controls in Use" (CIU) display, all the panels are simply called "Panel" which doesn't help much, especially since their position in this display changes.  I tried adding a title to the panels, which does indeed identify them in the CIU display...great, just what I wanted, except that now the titles appear on the form too, which messes everything up.  Is there a way to identify the panels so they can be identified in CIU but not show up in the form itself?

Thanks, in advance.

Bruce

2 replies

Badge +8

Hi Jeremy:

That did work, thanks for the hint.  However, for some of the panels I have to apply a background color, which I'm doing via CSS (background-color: #DCE6F1; for example).  When I combine this with display:none; in a CSS class of course it does not display.  So, I'm in a position of wanting my cake and eating too: how to use CSS to add something and subtract something else.  I'll try using a background image but I'm not sure how that will work.

Thanks again.

Bruce

Badge +8

OK, background image worked, with a small (32 x 32) image of a uniform color. Problem solved!

Thanks,

Bruce