How to specify business and holiday hours in a workflow

• 21 September 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +9

I am working on a project where we will have three levels: collector, manager and senior manager. A task or status change will take place on an item if the person did not answer the task. The task will go to the next level up meaning, if the collector doesn’t answer the task or make some kind of status change it goes to the manager,etc. This takes place after the 24 hours, however this task or status change should only happen on business days. Weekends and holidays should not be accounted for. What is the best way to do this?

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Rency,

You can use the delegation features built  into the Flexitask action to solve what  you need.   Just  use the  option to account for Buiness Days/ Hours.   Then all you have to do is setup the Holidays to make Nintex  aware of  them at the Site, Site Collection, or Farm level.   

Thanks,

Mike

Badge

Okay, here is how I would go about solving this particular challenge: 1) Create a Workflow Rule for the Case object that evaluates "When a record is created, or when a record is edited and did not previously meet the rule criteria". // This will ensure that the rule you are creating only fires once 2) Set your rule criteria to run if the following formula evaluates to true: AND (CreatedBy.Alias = "somealias", OR(MOD( DATEVALUE(CreatedDate) - DATE(1900, 1, 6), 7) < 2, VALUE(MID(TEXT(CreatedDate),12,2))<9, VALUE(MID(TEXT(CreatedDate),12,2))>17)) You'll need to replace a few values of course in my formula. The first is to change "somealias" to the alias value of the user associated with the email2case agent. This bit of the formula makes sure the workflow only fires if the case was create by your agent. The second chunk of the formula covers three possible conditions nested within an OR statement. The first condition is the case being created on either a Sunday or a Saturday. See http://bit.ly/bh1Wsb for a nice little trick to figure out day of the week. The second condition is the created time being less than "9" GST. You'll need to adjust for your particular timezone. The third condition is the created time being greater than "17" GST. Again, adjust for your timezone. In short, this little gem of a formula ought to only fire this workflow when the alias is your email2case agent and the day the case was created is either Saturday, Sunday or the time (irrespective of the day) is less than 9am GST or greater than 17pm GST. 3) The last (and simplest) part of course is to create the workflow action. In this case I would recommend an email alert to your designated recipient that uses a template to incorporate some information about the case etc. 4) Other cool enhancements would also be a field update to set the case status (or some other field) to notate that the request was "after hours" for reporting purposes etc.

Hope this helps!

Eldeina