Using flexi task but don't want the version to increment

Badge +2

I have a workflow with a state machine with 3 states. Each state creates a flexi task. One of the flexi tasks causes the item the workflow is run on to increment versions. I don't want any of the tasks to result in a version change. I've gone over the configuration a number of times and can't see anything that would cause this.

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

if you update a list field from task form you can not prevent it.

Badge +2

I'm not updating any list fields.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

is it really flexi task that causes version to increment?

can you see in version history what exactly has changed?

and just to be sure, it is workflow running on list, not document library, right?

Badge +2

Thanks for the replies.

It's either the flexi task or the change in state. This is running on a document library but none of the actions in the workflow update any fields in the library. When I check the version history I can see no changed fields on the item and the file size is the same as well. I'll add an image of the state machine and tasks for reference. The update is occurring in the 'Completing Tasks' state.

State machine and flexi tasks

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

don't you have an item field on task form that changes 'on its own'?

I mean if you set  its value with a javascript, or you set a default value for a control, or you have there a calculation, etc.?

don't you have any other actions in workflow after the shown fragment that might cause change?

do you respond the task from desktop or mobile?

do you experience the problem from either of clients or both?

Badge +2

The only actions that come after the shown fragment are logs to the history list. The update is happening in the Completing Tasks state when the flexi task is completed by the assignee.

The only reference on the task form to the item is a label that displays a link to the document ( {ItemProperty:FileLeafRef} ). The task form on the other flexi tasks has the same reference and doesn't cause the document version to increment. Other than that the form only has workflow variables on it.

So far I've only tried this workflow from the desktop.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

could you check whether you do not have published task form layout(s) for other then desktop layout?

if you do not use them resp. if you didn't customize them could you try to remove them?

Badge +2

I checked and there were other layouts on the form. I deleted all but the Desktop layouts and republished the workflow. I still get the version incrementing on any response to that flexi task.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

does it make any difference if you select one or the other outcome?

does the version change after you select 'Additional viewers  required'?

Badge +2

It makes no difference which outcome. Either one results in the version being incremented.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

could you try to export and save your current task form definition then recreate default nintex task form and test with it?

Badge +3

I have the same issue. When the task is completed, new version item is created without information:

219420_pastedImage_1.png

Could you solve it, Duane Walker‌?

Badge +1
Hello @duanewalker, how did you resolve this one?