How do I know the difference between a Item Property Value and a Named Control value in a calculated field?

Badge +8

I have a control on my form with the name Status.   It is tied to the Status field.   When I place  a reference to the control in a calculated field (for example) using the Formula Builder, it shows up as Status, highlighted in red and underlined.   If I insert a reference to an item property for Stats, it also shows up in red and underlined?

Other than renaming one of them, how do I know the difference between the two after then are inserted?    I thought I have seen them formatted with the bracket characters (could be wrong) but I am no longer seeing that.   Is there an option that needs to be enabled?

3 replies

Badge +7

Hello Bruce,

Even I didn't find any difference once they are used in the formulae. But generally I do mention add Control for names. Like for Title I will add TitleControl, so that I can differentiate them easily.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Bruce,

I agree with Soni, there is no way to differentiate between the two unless you change the name of the control.

Item property will retain the Column Name.

Named control will adopt the name you changed it to.

This way you can then tell the difference.

Possibly something for Nintex to look at in a future release?

Regards

Paul

Badge +8

Thanks

Well the answer is obvious of course but does not help if someone else did not conform to the practice and you need to support the site.

I cannot believe how short sighted this was of the developers.  You have to wonder what they were thinking.