Help building a workflow for SharePoint Calendar that sends an email with option to save event to outlook calendar AND auto populate the Subject, Time, and Location of the Outlook Calendar Event

• 25 August 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

Help building a workflow for SharePoint Calendar that sends an email with option to save event to outlook calendar AND auto populate the Subject, Time, and Location of the Outlook Calendar Event

9 replies

Badge +11

Hi Kendra Essig,

You would have to create ics link for this purpose. Using the Calendar list, it is easy.

It would be something like this:

http://<site>/<list>/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?CS=109&Cmd=Display&List=<ListGUID>&CacheControl=1&ID=<ID of the calendar Item>&Using=event.ics

Reference here:

https://wonderlaura.com/2009/08/17/appointment-email-link-via-spd-workflow/

Badge +2

Hi Kapil! Thank you for your reference article.

I am still stumped. Is there any way you can provide instructions for how to do this with Nintex Workflows?

Here is where I am working in the workflow for my HR Training Calendar:

[cid:image005.jpg@01D1FF77.DCD1E7B0]

Here is the Plain Text:

This is confirmation that you are registered to attend ClassTitleVar<javascript:void(0);> on StartTimeVar<javascript:void(0);> at LocationVar<javascript:void(0);>

For more information, please visit the Web URL<javascript:void(0);>

Web URL<javascript:void(0);>/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?CS=109&&Cmd=Display&&List={3752F980-B7AD-4192-89AD-885A57FDBBF2}&&CacheControl=1&&ID=CoursesID<javascript:void(0);>&Using=event.ics

At present, when the highlighted SAVE TO OUTLOOK link is clicked by the user they click Open and this is what appears:

As you can see, the Subject and Location and Description have to be manually entered by the users, though the time looks like it populates just fine.

What I need to know is what to put in the Link Dialogue box in order to have the Outlook Calendar auto fill the Subject and Location (and if possible, Description) fields when the user clicks Save to Outlook in their workflow generated email.

Thank you for any help you can provide ☺

Sincerely,

Kendra E.

Badge +11

Hi Kendra,

Please see the instructions below with screen shots:

1. Create Send Notification Action and Insert a Link.

The Address should be added like this:

{Common:WebURL}/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?CS=109&Cmd=Display&List={EE2A0599-C6A2-4B73-AC41-CED6E95B01B0}&CacheControl=1&ID={ItemProperty:ID}&Using=event.ics

example1.jpg

Add your own calendar List GUID. Do not copy past this link, start with adding Common:WebURL from the Common tab. Paste rest of the link. Then replace GUID of the Calendar List and add ItemProperty:ID from the Item Properties tab.

2. Create Item in the calendar list.

example.jpg

3. Start the workflow on the item. When you click on the link in the email, it should give you the download option. Click on Open and it should open this in Outlook.

example2.jpg

Hope this helps.

Badge +2

Where do I get the GUID?

Badge +11

Go to calendar List, click on List Settings.

From the URL, copy the text in front of List=... then transform it. If it shows something like the below:

List=%7B557FA85F%2D9944%2D424B%2DB491%2DB42B7605EDD9%7D

then replace the characters like this:

• Change “%7B” to “{”
  • Change all “%2D” to “-“
  • Change “%7D” to “}”

it will become: {557FA85F-9944-424B-B491-B42B7605EDD9}.

Badge +2

Thank you for all your help. I have discovered that the issue is a little more complicated. Apparently the workflow that sends the email notification is actually tied to a different list and that is why I keep getting errors when I test the SAVE TO OUTLOOK link (because the workflow is not actually on the SharePoint calendar, but on a registrations list that is related to it).

I will send a new community support thread once I iron out the details.

Thank you again,

Sincerely,

Kendra E.

Badge +11

Sure Kendra, Please mark this as closed accordingly.

If you have to send the link from the registration list, then you can add the Event Content type to this list and use the same link. Once you have the details, please post that separately.

Badge +2

I do not see an option to close it?

Badge +11

You do not see Mark as Correct answer or something like that?