Nintex workflow sending previous workflow version notifications?

• 20 December 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I've just recently updated some workflow email notifications for my client. They had a series up updates but nothing too extraneous. Upon completing my updates and publishing the workflow, any time the notification is sent, I get the newly updated notification but then I get an additional notification with the content formatted as the previous workflow version. 

When I save my workflow, I make sure to overwrite the previous version. Also, I've checked, checked and triple checked to make sure there isn't some other rogue notification sitting somewhere in the workflow-- There isn't. I have to say that the last time I published this workflow, the SharePoint team was doing an extremely large migration that slowed down everything from page load times and extending publishing times from the usual seconds to 10-15 minutes. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I can only assume that it's a possibility since we've never had this problem before.

I have no idea why it's doing this. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

NV

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

When I save my workflow, I make sure to overwrite the previous version

that only means that you overwrote (the most recent version of) workflow with the same name/title.

this has no effect on already running workflow instances. they all will continue to run with workflow version actual at the timepoint they were started.

so likely, you have two or more workflow instances running on a given item. check all the workflows running on an item(s) sending double notifications.

Badge +1

Hi Marian, 

Thanks for your response. I understand that there can be two or more workflow instances running. I have checked that there aren't any other workflows running on that specific item. In fact, I've blocked/removed all other versions of the workflow from the workflow settings page. I also verify that the item is not running any previous versions of the workflow. In fact, the workflow is set to start when a new item is created and only runs once. 

It doesn't make any sense as the secondary notifications I receive are formatted in the way of a prior version of the workflow. It's almost as if the action steps are still in the workflow but they're not visible when editing the workflow. The new notification even has new variable references within the email and the other emails still resolve to the older references.

I've also gone as far as reverting to a previous version prior to the notification updates and now that version is doing the same thing. Only except I now get three notifications of the same old verbiage.

Will I need to rebuilt the workflow?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you mentioned a migration was performed in your environment.

doesn't duplicated notification come from the other (migrated) environment?

aren't there running some services (eg. timer job) multiple times after/due to migration?

do you experience the problem with only this workflow/this site, or with the others as well (if you made any other changes)?