Importing a Nintex Form into an Established SharePoint List

Badge +1

Hello!  I have an existing SP List using an InfoPath form.  I want to replace the InfoPath form with a Nintex form I have stored in my sandbox but have run into a snag.  So far I have tried the following: 

1. created form using the exact same data fields and set up as the existing List
  2. (backup) saved a version of the InfoPath form on the existing List
  3. exported the Nintex form from my sandbox and saved to desktop
  4. turned off the InfoPath form on the existing List ( Settings/Form Setting)
  5. imported the Nintex form to the existing List

Results:

• I created a new entry in the List and although the Nintex form popped up, some of the data fields where out of order or misaligned.  Do I need to update some kind of setting in the form to align?  
  • When I opened an existing record in the List , the form came up but only some of the records data was not populated.  Do I need to somehow merge the form with the List?
  • Or is this not possible.  Perhaps you cant import a new form into an existing list?  It has to be a new list with a new form?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

it's possible and your approach is basically correct.

but export/import not always works on 100% across different environments. typically problems cause form controls that rely on GUIDs (eg. lookups)

some of the data fields where out of order or misaligned. 

usually there isn't a problem that controls would get misaligned or shifted/moved. 

could you post some examples/screenshots what specific problems do you experience?

the form came up but only some of the records data was not populated

as mentioned above it may happen for some type of controls.

check the form design and configuration of those fields and make sure form controls are connected to respective list fields.

Badge +1

Thank you Marian.  I recreated the entire form for the production list and the alignment is spot on.  No problem.

Unfortunately I am still having issues with the data populating in the matching form fields.  I check to ensure that they were connected and I am not given the option to connect.  It is a locked field on the control.  See attached. 

Badge +1

I have since determined that this issue appears to be only happening with my repeating section.  None of the controls within the Repeating Section are connected to the List Column and as such, the existing data I have stored in the SP List is not merging/or populating into the new Nintex field. 

Is there a way to connect the controls "within" a repeating section?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

single controls within repeating section are never connected directly to list fields.

you have to connect whole repeating section to a list field. the list field will then store whole repeating section content in a XML format.