Not applicable

Help with workflow design

I am a beginner and have the following scenario: User enters information into form and an approval email is sent. The approver approves data entered and a notification is sent to the manager. At some point after this, more data will be entered by someone else (not the manager) and submitted. Another notification is sent out. At a later time more data is entered and then another email is sent out.

I am fine up until point where the notification is sent the first time. How would the workflow wait and then resume after the next submit and the submit after that? Would I use more than one workflow or just one?

I looked into the conditional but what happens if a value is entered into the field I am looking for and then is later changed before the submit occurs?

I looked into the Run If but it doesn't appear to be what I need since it doesn't wait for the condition to be true.

Thank you,

Bryan

Tags (1)
15 Replies
cassymfreeman

Re: Help with workflow design

so the first time around you want to get approval and notify the manager - is that on item insert?  you could have this approval workflow run on item creation automatically.

you could have a secondary workflow that sends notification when item is updated.

would that work?

cassymfreeman

maybe updated where status = approved?

melissac
Rookie

After the manager approves it the first time does more information need to be entered for that particular item. or is the new information being entered new?

You could kick off a WF on the first item it gets either approved or rejected if approved it goes into a pending state. when additional information is entered then a second wf is kicked off. and so on

Not applicable

After the manager approves it then new information will be entered at a later time. I just don't know when or who will enter it. I will look into changing the state based on the approval. Will the WF stay in that state until the next information is saved?

cassymfreeman

I think it's as simple as having a workflow on item creation (the approval workflow) and then one on edit after the approval has been completed.

how do you track completion of the approval on the item?  do you have a status (i.e. awaiting approval/approved/rejected)?  just need to understand how you can conditionally start your simple notification workflow based on the fields in your list.

Not applicable

For the approval I am using an Assign Flexi Task. Nothing is changed on the form for the approval.

cassymfreeman

ok so if someone wanted to see if an item was approved they would have to view the workflow history?

Not applicable

The notification sent after the approval is done let's the relevant people know that the item was approved. If anyone else wanted to know if it was approved then they would have to view the workflow history.

cassymfreeman

OK can I make a suggestion then.

1. add a status column (choice of submitted (default), approved, rejected)
  2. approval workflow - automatic start on item insert
    1. if approved, set status to approved, send email
    2. if rejected, set status to rejected, send email
  3. notification workflow - automatic start on item update
    1. where status (previous value) = status (current value)
    2. the above condition will prevent the workflow initiating when the approval workflow updates the status

happy to do some screen shots if you want to share your list columns with me?

Thanks

Cassy