Delay after adding users to Active Directory Group

• 23 December 2009
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

We are using roles set to Active Directory groups for managing our destinations.

I'm noticing a delay between the time I add a user to a group and the time worklist items belonging to that group are showing up in the added user's worklist.  It always shows up eventually, but I haven't been able to figure out what needs to happen before they will show up.  Can anyone explain what is happening?

Thanks.

Paul

3 replies

Badge +9

The delay is due to the role refresh interval setting configured at the management console.  This is found under:

workflow server  node -> Processes -> Process Folder -> Process Name -> Roles

You have the option to make it a dynamic role.  In this case the role resolution is updated whenever a user accesses their worklist (Pro).  So this could potentially be heavy on role refresh load if there are tons of users accessing/refreshing their worklist (Con).

From the K2 blackpearl Roles and Advanced Destinations document:

DYNAMIC RESOLUTION OF ROLE MEMBERSHIP
Depending on the solution requirement, it is sometimes necessary to use on-demand resolution of roles instead of using an interval-based role resolution. Dynamic roles are on-demand and are refreshed when dynamic roles are defined and every time worklists are opened which contain items that use the role. For example, if a solution requires tasks to be assigned to users signing on at a certain location, a role can be created to on-demand and dynamically resolve a user’s location and make the tasks visible to them. By default when multiple users open worklists containing items that use the role, the dynamic roles are only resolved within a configurable three second window. When creating the role there is a Dynamic checkbox as shown in Figure 1. Checking this box makes every call to the role a dynamic call, regardless of the process it is used in. If the role is not dynamic, checking the Dynamic checkbox next to the Interval (minutes) text box on the Role page of the process tree in the Management Console will force the role to resolve dynamically instead of at the set interval, but only for the process in which is it used.

Badge +13

Can you elaborate on this "three second window"?     Is that the time allowed for role to be resolved before an error occurs?

Badge +9

That is one thing that I am not too certain about.  However, I do know that if you set it to dynamic, the interval column in the _DestQueue table is set to 3 instead of 0.  Maybe somebody else who knows how this works in details can fill in more details here.  Any takers?