kthornton
Scholar

Help! Is there a way to pause already sent emails from re-sending within a list team?

Jump to solution

I have custom lists in SP2013 which I have created workflows to send email notifications to specific users.  My list displays an end-to-end view of an appeal which may be processed through 3 levels (with different users getting involved based on the level).  My issue is that I want the already sent emails to stop as the stages progress, but I continue to receive a duplicate email as the previous stage field is filled out (triggering an email).  Is there a way to pause those already sent emails from re-sending within a list item?

Note: I am new to Nintex and there seems to be no one within my company who can help guide me through this process.

Below is an example of my form.  When the initial appeal outcome is posted, an email is triggered.  When a response is provided within the form to that initial appeal outcome, another email is triggered BUT the initial appeal outcome posted email gets re-triggered.  I don't want that to happen.  Once the email goes out (regarding a single list item), I want it to stop.

I appreciate any help!

Katie

27 Replies
jackgelo
Contributor

Re: Help! Is there a way to paude already sent emails from re-sending within a list team?

Jump to solution

Hi,

how your workflows are configured?

Could you put a condition in the workflow who sends the first mail to check if the second field is empty or not and if empty it sends the mail..could it works in your scenario?

Giacomo

fccrous
Scout

Re: Help! Is there a way to paude already sent emails from re-sending within a list team?

Jump to solution

Hi Katie,

I assume you workflow start when the list item is modified and based on what you are describing here you will have create different workflows and each will have its own conditional start.

The first workflow for "Initial Appeal Review Outcome" will start when the item is modified

In your condition make sure that you select the field with the previous value added to it (I used purpose because its a field in one of my lists).  You will see that there is two listings for each field in the top drop list.  Then select the compare to field? option and select the same field name but without the (previous value) added to it.

This will allow for a specific workflow to start if this field changed.

You will have to repeat this for the other options as well. Let me know if I need to explain in more detail.

kthornton
Scholar

Jump to solution

Yes  that is exactly what I need to do but didn't know how.  Please see my response to Francois below.

fccrous
Scout

Jump to solution

Hi Katie,

Your response to me seems to have gone missing.  Can you please resend that?

kthornton
Scholar

Jump to solution

Light bulb!  Ok, so here is what I have currently set up, but would it make more sense for me to consolidate into one workflow instead having separate flows for each email?

I originally set it up this way bc I am new to Nintex and thought it was easiest to have separate flows based on a particular field being filled out on the form (since different people need to be notified based on a particular field being completed).

Here is what the Workflow looks like in Nintex:

fccrous
Scout

Jump to solution

Hi Katie,

I look through the list of workflows and I'm not exactly sure about the business process that is followed but from the little bit I can make out here I think you can group some of these workflows together, i.e. look at the Initial appeal workflows to maybe group them together in a workflow and the Escalation workflows in one workflow.  This will be dependant on your processes and if it makes more sense to have them separate.

The next steps depend on the business processes and it makes sense to group them together or not. I hope this makes sense.

Let me know if there is an area for which you need more information

kthornton
Scholar

Jump to solution

I tried to use the previous value option, but still wasn't able to achieve my goal.  I have now attempted to consolidate workflows so they only send a communication if the form is modified by particular users (i.e. users listed within the form fields); however, when I test the workflows no emails are sent.  Here are the two workflow conditions I created:

(1)

(2)

What am I missing?  My goal was to have a more generalized email be sent from these two workflows, but nothing is happening when I test them.

kthornton
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi Francois,

Did you happen to see my last update?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Katie

fccrous
Scout

Jump to solution

Hi Katie,

I did not see the reply so sorry only read it now. Can you show what type of detail is saved in the QA Name, Quality Manager, Site Director, etc?  The reason for the request is that although the Modified by field shows a name, the actual value is the person's AD account, i.e. Domain\username that is stored in the field.  Are you comparing domain\username with domain\username or first name lastname with domain\username?