How can I use Nintex Forms with different content types in workflow?

Badge +1

Here's what if done so far:

I have a SharePoint list with 3 content types (Item, Event, Event2). Each content type has different columns.

I can change the Item-Form (New, Edit, View) for each content type.

I added a new workflow to the list and created a flexi task.

Next I edited the task form and created a new nintex form. 

Here i can only choose the list colum Title. Is it somehow possible to create different task-forms based on the content type?

Thanks for the help happy.png

21 replies

Badge +16

Is the workflow the same for all content types? Have you tried looking at site reusable workflows that link to content types? I am not near a machine at the moment to check, but this should allow you to add more to your tasks when the workflow is linked to a content type?

Badge +1

Hi,

the workflow should be different for each Content type.

Thanks for your Input I'll try that one.

Badge +16

Excellent - let me know how you get on?

Badge +6

Hi , I have a similar challenge. My list has 5 content types and I want to create a different workflow fro each content type. Can you share your solution please. I want the relevant workflow to start based on the corresponding content type, but I can't seem to get this right since there's no conditional workflow start for list workflow.

‌, do you have some insight on this?

Badge +16

there is conditional start for list workflow?

you should be able to do conditional start based on content type:

Badge +6

Is this On-prem or Cloud? I'm using Nintex Workflow 2013 On-premise and I don't have that option

207121_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +16

using on prem 2013.

are you sure you have turned this on for the list (just double checking the basics)

Badge +16

actually looking at your screenshot I would say it looks like this workflow is on a document library and not a list?  if that is the case you cannot have conditional start on document library.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

whoa - i did not know that,

Badge +16

yeah I learnt the hard way wink.png  with a document library the "new" bit is the uploading of the document and not the addition of metadata (hence how you can upload and leave checked out with any metadata) so the adding of metadata is actually treated as modify!  is that right ‌?  I am sure it is but now I've typed it I am questioning it.  I remember us having a lot of fun and games with this!

Badge +6

That's correct, my mistake, I meant to say document library. 

Badge +16

Yes see my explanation above - conditional start on creation for document library is not possible.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

That being said, you can create a false conditional start by putting the logic into your workflow and triggering for every "new" item. Have several "Run Ifs" for different factors and "End Workflow" if they are not met.

Badge +16

yes exactly - and the run if should be able to look at the content type for sure!

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yes ‌, spot on.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Unless you're restrained by the subscription model (i.e. you have to ration the number of workflows you create) I would look at using the reusable site workflow as Cassy mentioned earlier. This means creating 5 different workflows for each of your content types and then provisioning them to the library they are used in. Just for simplicity. But if you are limiting the number of workflows you have then ‌'s suggestion will be best.

Badge +16

worries me that the subscription model would make you change the design...  sad.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Budgets, budgets, budgets!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

It is scary how much some people will try to cram into the 5 workflow package...

The way I see it, you're going to spend more time fixing / changing than what the total cost of the next package up would be...

Badge +5

I used a switch to evaluate the Content Type and then created a different flexi task for each of the different content types.  Each task allows you to create a different custom form.

207185_pastedImage_1.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Sadly some/many organisations look at the expenditure on assets as their bottom line rather than the expenditure on time.