Unable to view flow image from K2 reports workspace

• 23 August 2006
  • 7 replies

Badge +2
Hi

I have a problem with K2.NET 2003 SP1 where I am unable to view the flow in the K2 dashboard. (There are reasons I am not using higher service packs but that is out of scope here).

I have been asked by the support person (who really tried to assist - thanks) to post to the forum so that someone may be able to help me.

The server setup is as follows:
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6GHz with Hyperthreading
3GB RAM
MS Windows Server 2003 SP1
K2.NET 2003 SP1
.NET Framework 1.1 (and 2.0 - the group policies seem to automatically install this).
The solution does not use Sharepoint Portal Server at all.
The solution uses Kerberos authentication as credentials need to be passed over more than one hops.
K2.NET 2003 uses ADAM (ActiveDirectory Application Mode) for security using the ADAMUM.dll (for K2.NET 2003 SP1) provided by SourceCode.
The server is setup to use Kerberos authentication on all web sites and web services.
This is confirmed to be working as the K2 Console server shows Kerberos
authentication is being used.
The databases are located on a SQL instance in a SQL cluster.

K2 behaves as expected (can start workflows, manage workflows, email via SMTP, calls web services etc).

The problem is related to viewing the flow image in the K2 dashboard. This is normally done as follows (on the server hosting K2 although the same issue is experienced when connecting via another machine):

1. Connect to "http://localhost/K2V3/Workspace/Report.aspx"
2. Select a process (prefereably one you were involved with).
3. Click the "View Flow" icon.
4. No image is shown (only an icon containing a red square, green circle and blue triangle).

I have followed all the knowledge base articles and support forum information:
1. Support Request
a) .NET 1.1 was installed.
b) Installed .NET 1.1 SDK as requested by support (did not make a difference).

2. KB000019 (Viewflow not doisplaying correctly)
a) Virtual directory script permissions are "Scripts Only".
b) .NET security policy for "My ComputerRuntime Security
PoliciesMachineCode GroupsAll Code" is set to "Full Trust".
c) Authenticated users have been given "Full Control" over the "C:<Windows Directory>Microsoft.NETFramework<Current Framework Directory>Temporary ASP.NET Files" folder (this is after "Write" permissions did not make a difference).

3. http://forum.k2workflow.com/viewtopic.php?t=932
a) .NET 1.1 is installed on the server but the image will not show.
b) Full trust is already setup.

4. http://forum.k2workflow.com/viewtopic.php?t=722
a) The server running the K2 workspace has been added to the list of "Trusted Sites" in IE (which has less restrictions than "Local Intranet").
b) KB000098 (K2.NET 2003 on Windows 2003 Server SP1)
(i) The K2 service account (domain account) has a SPN entry set so it is trusted for delegation.
(ii) I do not get a Authentication with the server failed error in the K2 service manager.
(iii) I do not get any of the following errors: Authentication with the server failed , The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. , or Workspace loads with username set to NT Authority/Anonymous logon .
(iv) I can export to the K2 server without any errors.

5. http://forum.k2workflow.com/viewtopic.php?t=61
a) Authenticated users have "Full Control" over the "C:<Windows Directory>Temp" folder (this is after "Write" permissions did not make a difference).
b) The server running the K2 workspace has been added to the list of "Trusted Sites" in IE (which has less restrictions than "Local Intranet").
c) If I right-click where the flow image is supposed to be and "View Source", I can see the XML data that's supposed to be shown as an image.

6. KB000123 (Kerberos)
a) Kerberos is working correctly as the K2 server console shows that Kerberos authentication is being used to interact with K2.
(i) Our solution uses a .NET web application that calls a .NET web service which starts the K2 process.

Other Notes:
The same setup on a standalone virtual server works and shows the flow image. The difference in the production environment is the database server and domain controller are split off from the K2 server.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Is there any way of getting more information from the workspace or services so that debugging this is easier?

I've attached a screenshot of the workspace and a sample of the source of the ViewFlow frame.

7 replies

Badge +11
Hi,

You obviously get the xml back just fine from K2.net Server. So the problem is with the rendering of the ViewFlow component.

Normally, when it is a security related problem, you'll get the little red cross at the top of the page. When no icon is displayed it is normally the 'Script Only' setting in IIS. In your case however, when you only get the little icon, it is normally .NET Framework related.

I would recommend building a Windows app re-using the Viewflow component (http://kb.k2workflow.com/articles/kb000023.aspx) - just to make sure that the component renders correctly.

HTH,
Ockert
Badge +2
My colleague wrote an application a while ago that provides some workflow view functionality.

The assemblies are copied locally.

Attached is a screenshot of the application - the flow image does display.
Badge +11
Hi DeepSigh,

The question is, does that UI utilize the normal (default installed) 'ViewProcessInstance.dll'? If I remember correctly, one of our consultants helped in writing a custom 'ViewProcessInstance.dll' which allows you to save the image to a .jpg or .bmp.

Maybe I've got the wrong client but just make sure please.

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +2
The UI shown uses the following default assemblies:
K2CSC.dll,
K2Mng.dll,
K2ROM.dll,
viewprocessinstance.dll

This can be proved using a binary comparison tool.
Badge +2
I was playing with the internet security setting for "components not signed with authenticode" on my local machine IE.

I noticed that when I connected to the development environment with the setting as "prompt", IE asked me if I am allowed to load the control. If I said no, the icon with the triangle, circle and square is shown.

If I said yes, the image would display (after clicking on the blank area where the image was supposed to be - apparently you need to click the control to use it - might be a new security feature).

I decided to try this on the server ... no prompt so it appears the browser is not downloading the control to the client.

On further investigation, I noticed that the server is running IE 6 SP 1. My local machine is running IE 6 SP2 with the latest fixes.

I'm wondering if the issue is related to the browser version.

Can anyone perhaps confirm this?

The server IE version is:
Version: 6.0.3790.1830
Update Versions:; SP1;

The local IE version is:
Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
Update Versions:; SP2;
Badge +11
To be honest, I have not seen any specific issues between IE 6 SP1 and SP2 - but anything is possible.
You may be on to something here - it could just be a simple IE setting, since everything else seem to be fine.
I saw a setting called - "Download unsigned ActiveX controls" - what is that set to?
Maybe compare each and every IE setting you've got on your local machine to the corresponding setting on the server.

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +4
Hi

Please try the following patch from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B7D9801B-4FB5-492E-903E-3400ABF1D731&displaylang=en

Please let me know if this sorted out the problem.

Thanks

David