Generic Workflow - Activity Name

• 27 September 2012
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

What is the best approach for developing generic workflow which is called from within different parts of the main workflow but which, each time it is called, should have some customisation to identify at what point in the main workflow it is.

My scenario is that an ' impact a change request' task and an 'implement the change request' task are complex but both have exactly the same functionality.  I would like to be able to call this generic workflow (IPC event) but be able to pass 'Impact' and 'Implement' at the appropriate times.

I was hoping to be able to update the activity name once in the sub-process, so that the information is available from the standard K2 Task List (we want to avoid customising the task list) but that appears to be read-only.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

3 replies

Badge +8

Activity Names can only be set at design time. The easiest way to cater for this scenario would be to have the Activity names generic, but append the "Impact" or "Implement" in the Folio of the process instance, ie. "CR1209260023 - Impact". That way the type is still visible in the worklist. 

Badge +8

I agree.. folio naming would be the way to go. I find that it's the first thing my eye is drawn to when looking at a worklist anyway.

-Doug

Badge +5

I had been hoping to avoid using the folio as I'm already using it for lots of other information (to avoid customising the worklist!). Thank you very much for the confirmation.