Preceding Rules - Start new step only AFTER all other steps completed

Badge +1

Hi All

I have a flow where 4 flows arrive into one. 

I want to stop the next flow item firing until all other flow items have been completed and ignored.

Basically it is as follows:

Activity A fires and processes down the correct path as per the instruction.

This is then completed and Activityy B is active.

This is then completed and moves onto Activity F.

This processes perfectly as expected with no rules.

However we will see occurences where activity B,C and D are all needed and before Activity F proceeds i need to validate all of the previous items have been completed.

My question therefore is what action is required on the starting rule to validate against i flow item that would not be used.

As mentioned above, if i have no rule, regardless of which previous item hits activity F first it fires and the flow continues.

Perhaps the screenshot will make life easier to understand as its tricky to explain.

Thanks

Dan

15379i33704352F82C60A8.jpg

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Dan

One way to achieve this is to create data fields to indicate if activities are completed and then check these in the preceding rule for Activity F.

This can get quite complex depending on the scenarios, so I will give a simple example. 

Say we have a workflow that goes straight to Activity A. After Activity A the workflow branches out in parallel to Activity B and C, and then joins back to Activity D. After Activity A the possible paths are 

1. Activity B only
  2. Activity C only
  3. Both Activity B & C

We want to start Activity D only when we know that all the preceding activities have completed.

1. Create 2 boolean data fields "Activity B Complete" and "Activity C Complete" and set the default value to true
  2. In both Activity B and C add a transfer Data rule as the first event and set the respective data fields to false
  3. In both Activity B and C add a transfer Data rule as the last event and set the respective data fields to true
  4. In the Preceding rule for Activity D add a rule that both data fields = true

Badge +1

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the reply.

I completelty understand what you are saying here and in theory this would work. 

However, alot of the time i will only expect one of the lines to complete and thus validate.

What i need to try and do is make the other lines validate against a selection of criteria and if particular criteria is set to false then carry on. 

What I dont see a way to do is make a worklist item auto complete if it is not required.

Does this make sense? 

Thanks

Dan

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Dan

I'm not sure what you mean by "make a worklist item auto complete if it is not required". Are you referring to a client event in your process?

You should be using line rules to determine if an activity is reached or not. Once an activity is reached the only ways to "complete" them is for them to be actioned by a user, or by an escalation that expires the activity.

I would be examining the logic of your line rules to ensure that an activity is only reached if it is required.