Allow WF Approver to revise the Form and approve it.

• 27 March 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

I have a situation, where the first Approver need to revise the form and approve / reject it. When the initiator submits the form, Approver 1 gets notified, he should be able to edit the form and make corrections and approve / reject it and send to Approver 2.

This is how it is configured now :

201154_pastedImage_1.png

Is this possible ?

Thanks,

6 replies

Badge +16

Are you able to edit the task form with nintex forms? You can add any original item fields into the approval task form for update at the same time as approval.

Badge +4

Hi Cassy,

I have customized the task form with nintex forms and populating all the fields on it. I am not sure, how to allow edit on the approval task form. Below is my task notification form send to Approvers,

Note : Section 'Employees Performing Overtime' is a Repeating section (I am parsing the XML in WF and convert it to HTML table and displaying here)

Task Notification Form

Do allowing Approver to edit this, create any issue to running WF instance ?

Thanks,

Badge +8

Hi ‌,

What Cassy refers to is how Nintex recommends dealing with forms. Not create one large form for every role to edit, but only show the fields needed per role.

Example: What if you want to have a field for approver1 where (s)he can add comments, where the initiator is not able to see that field and approver2 is only ably to see (not edit) it.

So, in case you do not have access to Nintex Forms, I would turn to your boss and ask to invest in it. You can make really much better/intuïtive (task) forms. In the new subscription license model, you already have workflow and forms combined btw.

As an answer to your question silly.png: Yes, what you want is possible. Not with only the workflow screenshot you provided but I expect there is more since I do not see the start and end. 

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +8

Hi Nagarjuna Ch‌,

There are 2 possible ways of updating the initiator list item:

1. Provide Approver edit permission to the initiator list item using Set Item Permission action in workflow, and provide a link to edit initiator list item in the task assigned to the Approver (Approver can use the link to navigate to edit initiator list item and later can act on the task)
  2. Customize the Approver task form to display the initiator list item field in Edit Mode, yet you need grant edit permission to Approver as mentioned above: 

201200_pastedImage_2.png

The #2 option works for sequential workflow. In case of State machine workflow, you go to capture the customized the Approver task form field values in workflow variables and use Call Web Service action to update it back to the initiator list item.

Hope this helps.

Badge +4

Hi @Rick Bakker,

Thanks for your response. This is my case, Initiator fills out the form, Appr 1 receives it, I need to show all the fields similar to original form, so that's the reason of customizing task notification form.

Appr 1 need to revise the complete form, make changes wherever necessary and approve it, once it is approved it goes to Appr 2,3 & 4. Whereas 2,3,4 are not supposed to edit, they just approve / reject.

I do have access to Nintex forms and I am the one who created the main form and customized task notification form according to business needs.

When I tried Cassy suggestion of allowing user to edit on Task Forms, I have some issues with 'Web Request' controls, 

201193_pastedImage_1.png

I have two types of web request controls, one to pull data from SP list and other to pull from external system through web service (this is in repeating section).  Drop-downs are filled with values from SP list with above error.

I might be diverting the original question, but this is what i have reached so far.

My WF is too big to show the start and end, in brief this is what i do in my WF, parse repeating section to HTML and collect data from list and request approvals. As mentioned before, I have 4 approval blocks similar to below :

201230_pastedImage_2.png

Thanks.

Badge +4

Hi Chaitra B C

Followed your instructions and this article by Vadim Tabakman helped me.

I have changed my Request Approval action to Flexi Task for Appr 1 and added a new outcome 'More Changes' to it.

So, when Appr 1 responds back with 'More Changes', I am ending the WF, notifying the initiator and allowing Appr 1 to edit the form and re-submit again.

Thanks,