Workflow 2019 - Update Item Discrepancy

• 29 August 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi, I'm encountering a strange discrepency between my two servers that I was hoping to get some details on.

In one environment when I add an Update item step, it pulls up Update: Current item and then only has Field. On the other, it pulls up Update: Current Item and then Where and Field. 

Here's a side by side for comparison:

4174i4EBC49EF0B0D00B3.png

Does anyone know what would cause this? It looks like both are running the same installed version of 2019.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,
This is a weird one.
The Where dropdown normally only appears when updating an item on another list or when using this action in a site workflow but the screen shot clearly shows "Current Item".
I tested in my environment with all sorts of lists, libraries, calendar, announcements, etc but could not eplicate this issue.
Does the list have any custom content types on it.
If you create a fresh list with a new workflow do you see the same behavior?
Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Does it happen different browsers? 

The Where Field is technically always there, it's just usually hidden (via CSS) until you select a value other than "Current item" from the Update dropdown. 

My guess is that some backing code involving that particular functionality is broken or incorrectly runs on the particular browser environment you're using. 

That aside, you should be able to safely ignore it without it making an error for your Workflow Action (I suspect). 

Badge +2

@SimonMuntz wrote:
Hi,
This is a weird one.
The Where dropdown normally only appears when updating an item on another list or when using this action in a site workflow but the screen shot clearly shows "Current Item".
I tested in my environment with all sorts of lists, libraries, calendar, announcements, etc but could not eplicate this issue.
Does the list have any custom content types on it.
If you create a fresh list with a new workflow do you see the same behavior?

No custom content types, happening on multiple lists/libraries even with a fresh list. At this point I think we'll reinstall and see if that fixes it.

Blah, it's not letting me kudos your response.

Badge +2

@MegaJerk wrote:

Does it happen different browsers? 

The Where Field is technically always there, it's just usually hidden (via CSS) until you select a value other than "Current item" from the Update dropdown. 

My guess is that some backing code involving that particular functionality is broken or incorrectly runs on the particular browser environment you're using. 

That aside, you should be able to safely ignore it without it making an error for your Workflow Action (I suspect). 

Occurs in IE/Edge/Chrome. They're fresh environments so I can't think of any special backing code. Unfortunately it's resulting in certain actions not being able to be saved. I think we're going to try doing a reinstall to see if that helps. 

Blah, it's not letting me give kudos for your help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Yeah that certainly sounds like unintended behavior. Also, when I said backing code, I just meant the stuff that is happening while you're using the Workflow Editor, nothing that you would ever usually mess with at all :D 

Let us know how it goes after the re-installation. Even though it's a pain in the neck, better safe than sorry. 

(PS: The Kudos button is kinda awful and incorrectly shows a No Symbol and makes it unclickable UNLESS you actually hover over the Thumbs Up pictograph... I thought that they had fixed it a long time ago but apparently the error is back. Any who, that's all for now!)