Script or Other Solution to Find Location & Owner of a Workflow

Badge +2

Hi Everyone,

I have recently taken over and there are some workflows running under employees / AD accounts which no longer exist - as expected they fail to run and generate errors with notification emails. However, some of them error with no link to the workflow so I am unable to find the workflow to change the account it runs with.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to find the Location and Owner of erroring workflows, through script or other means?

2. Check workflows under a given ID, account, email address, etc?

I am very new to Nintex so any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

4 replies

Badge +7

If you have access to the ULS logs, that would definitely show you the locations of the failing workflows.

Otherwise, you should be able to go to Manage Workflow Inventory and click on View Workflows for Entire Site Collection. Then sort the list of workflows by Modified By and then look for the workflows that were last modified by the users that are no longer there. Of course, this will give you more results than you will actually need, because the only workflows that should be giving you issues will be the ones that have actions to be run as the workflow owner (unless they hardcoded their credentials into some of the actions that require specified credentials).

I hope this helps you find the workflows you're looking for.

Badge +2

Hey Chad.

Great - thanks for the info. I was able to grab a list of the workflows and locations so should be something to work with.

However, when I use the "Workflow Inventory" tab it shows little or nothing. So the workflows are running in most cases, but they are hidden at their location and cannot be edited.

Error seems to fit this:

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Workflows-Missing-from-Workflow-Inventory-Page/ta-p/87135 

We recently backed up / restored our SharePoint servers to new Windows Servers and all of the Nintex workflows seem to need to be republished before they can be viewed and or edited.

Have you seen that? Do you know if each workflow needs to be Open / Republished 1 by 1?

Thanks again for your help.

Badge +7

I haven't been in that situation before. I would suggest opening a ticket with Nintex Support to see if they can offer any help.

Badge +2

Cool - thanks again!