Not applicable

Form for users to submit yes/no anwers to 100 questions

I have a spreadsheet that asks Managers to answer Yes or No to about 100 questions.  The questions keep me informed if tasks are being completed daily in a retail environment, e.g. Are counters clean? Are windows clean, Are there paper towels in the bathroom, etc...  I would like make this a Nintex form.  The spreadsheet is formatted where column A is the question and Column B is Yes or No.   Pretty simple but I can't seem to translate this simple logic to a Custom List with a Nintex form.

How should this be approached?  Visually,  naming each Column Name as the question is very bad looking - it works but my Custom List is very, very wide and "ugly".     I tried using a List Lookup control (which has the questions in a seperate List) for the questions...to populate a Column named "Question" but that will force users to submitt 100 seperate times - not very user friendly.  I thought of using a repeating section with a List Lookup for the questions but it appears that you can't use a List Lookup in a repeating section.

Ideas?

Tags (3)
12 Replies
greenawayr
Scout

Re: Form for users to submit yes/no anwers to 100 questions

What do your users need to see? Do they need to see the full question when looking at the list view or do they need to just see a field that identifies their response that they can then see the details of by either opening the form, or perhaps (and forgive me for using a non Nintex solution here) using the OOTB Preview Pane style that SharePoint views provides?

Your other option would be XSLT using SharePoint Designer.

Not applicable

"Preview Pane style" Do you mean the default SharePoint form that comes up when you do not have a Nintex form created?

I have SharePoint Designer but I don't have a lot of experience with it. I'll look up what XSLT is.Thanks.

"What do your users need to see?"  User's (Store Managers) will not need to see the List View.  A Nintex form should be all that MOST users need to see. But...upper management will want to have some way to see the data in a meaningful way.   And that is where I'm having the problem.

My first attempt at a solution was to create an alias code for each question, e.g. code0001= Question1.  Then I built 100 columns, code0001 to code0100.   My list was 100 columns wide.  I then built a Nintex form that displayed each question using a Label Control and next to it I put a Yes/No Choice Control that connected to the appropriate column.   It works well from the users perspective.  They see the question and answer Yes or No.  But the List View was worthless.  I had 100 columns with Yes/No in each row and each column.  I wasn't sure how to take the column information and make it meaningful to upper management.

In my second attempt I created two columns in a List. Column 1 was Anwer (yes or no) and the second column was for Question.  It was more understandable from the List View  and I could export it to a spreadsheet and run a pivot table against it.  But I couldn't get a Nintex form created that was easy for the user. With this model the user had to submit 100 forms to answer all the questions.  I tried a Repeating Section but the user would then have to add each question before answering it - too time consuming.

I'm not sure if it matters but the questions can be quite lengthy, e.g. "Did all freezer cases get emptied and cleaned within the last week?"

deanvirag
Scout

Sounds like there are 2 actors involved in your scenario - the form user and the manager. From your description above, your first attempt seemed to satisfy the form user but not the manager. To satisfy the manager you could write the form values out to a document. There are a few ways of doing this.

greenawayr
Scout

By Preview Pane, I meant one of the default styles that SharePoint offers you as a View option. Just a easy way of displaying all the information from one response to your survey on the screen.

With the extra information about your different users, it sounds like a better solution might be to create the form only for the needs of your form user as mentioned by Dean Virag​ but to satisfy management requirements perhaps an SQL Server Report Services (SSRS) Report would be better using Report Builder. This will allow you to b uild a report to display the data you've collected however you wish without worrying too much about the impact of one requirement on the other.

Not applicable

Thank you Dean and Ryan.  I've looked into XSLT - it looks very interesting.  I'll look into SSRS too.  Since time is a concern I may end up creating a data connection to Excel and build a Dashboard for the managers - which is what Dean suggested.   Ryan, thank you for XSLT and SSRS, I did not know of those two technologies. Kind Regards, David

Not applicable

Hi, David 010101​, let us know how things turn out! Thanks!

Frank

Your community manager

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Will do. Thanks.

xMikeX
Scholar

Hi David,

I just wanted to confirm that you can use a List Lookup inside of a repeating section.   What version and build no. of the software are you running?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Nintex version is 1.7.0.0  I'm not sure of the build number.

0 Kudos