Nintex workflow is changing status from completed to empty

Badge +6

Good Morning Guys,

I am having some issues with my workflow, lately my workflow is changing the status of my items from completed to empty or null, I don t know what happen because these items were processed and completed 1 month ago and now I am getting that status is empty.  Please let me know your comments about the possible issue.  Thank you.

11 replies

Badge +11

Hi

This is in-build SharePoint functionality. The link to the workflow history, which is shown as the status in the workflow column, stays for 60 days only and then automatically gets removed. There is a workflow Auto Clean Up job that drops this link. 

Badge +6

I see it, I want to know the workflow history like who has approved, when and comments, task outcomes etc for 10 years for audit purpose.So what do you recommend?

Badge +11

You can always get to the workflow history from the Item context menu, View Workflow history. This is not removed.

If you want a direct link then, create a separate multiple line column called WorkflowStatus. Set this field in your workflow something like this:

<a href=Workflow Log URL>varWorkflStatus</a>

Workflow Log URL is added from Insert Reference > Common. Or you can choose Workflow Status URL is you want to see the graphical view. varWorkflStatus is maintained as the workflow progresses. You can set this variable to Completed at the end of the workflow.

Badge +6

Sorry Kapil, I am trying to fix this issue and I dont understand some process, can you provide me an screenshot when you have a minute pls.

Badge +11

WorkflowProgress is a multiple line column. Within workflow it is set like this:

varWorkflowStatus is set to "In Progress" at the beginning of the workflow. At the end of the workflow, update this variable to "Completed" and update the WorkflowProgress column again.

Badge +6

Thank you- Your solution is working perfectly. Just by curiosity is there any way to turn the cleaning Job off and then keep history without changing the status to empty?

Badge +11

Yes, You can disable the Workflow Auto Cleanup timer job if you wish to keep the workflow data like workflow instances and completed tasks. however, this is not really recommended due to the potential impact to performance of allowing these lists to grow indefinitely.

To disable automatic workflow cleanup follow below steps

From Central Administration, click the Monitoring tab
On the Monitoring page, click Review job definitions.
On the Timer Job Definitions page, click Workflow Auto Cleanup to edit the appropriate timer job for that web application.
On the Edit Timer Job page, click Disable and then click OK to disable the Workflow Auto Cleanup feature.

If you later decide that you want to enable automatic workflow cleanup, access this page again and click Enable to enable automatic workflow cleanup

Badge +6

Thank you Kapil Joshi‌ you solved my issue.

Badge +6

Hello ‌, I know we closed the conversation but I need to ask you something, I am able to see the history for the new items that I am creating but is possible get the history from the item already created that already exist? how can I do that?

Badge +11

Hi ,

I don't think there is an easy way to create link for older workflows.

You might have modified the versions of the workflows and the Instance ID of the workflow, that is part of the link, would change. If you have few items only, then you can go to the context menu, go to the history and then create the link manually but i suppose this would be some amount of work.

Badge +6

Definitely I do need to recover the log information for audit purposes, can you give me an example... This is driving me crazy and I really need keep this information for the older  items. sorry for make a lot of question..