New Save and Continue Button

• 13 March 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

So it's finally here and I've been having a play. On long forms a user can now save their progress without the form closing and them having to re open it.

It works!

A couple of things to note. If it's a new item and you use save and continue, it creates it as normal and any required fields will still be required.

Workflows. If you have a workflow that updates the item on modify, you will get a save conflict warning. You can simply get around this by perhaps using conditional rules or have your workflow do nothing based on the input into a field.

In the below example the Save your progress button isn't connected to anything, while the Approve and Reject items input Process or ProcessReject into a workflow field. When the workflow runs on modify, it'll do nothing if the save your progress button is pressed.

200769_pastedImage_4.png

200770_pastedImage_5.png

So in a nutshell you may have to review your workflows before enabling this option.

3 replies

Badge +6

Hi Anthony,

As of I researched , There is a small difference between SAVE  and SAVE & CONTINUE . i.e Save will submit the form and trigger the WorkFlows associated with the list or library. but whereas in the Save & Continue will also submit the form , but restricts the workflow to start. Meaning the WF will not start on adding or editing the item in the list or library.

Thanks 

Bashya Rajan A

Badge +3

Another workaround if you're using workflows to update columns and are getting the save conflict error when using save and continue - we were updating/appending a multiline text field called comments -  was to run the workflow by a conditional start.

Something along the lines of:

If modified (previous value) does not equal modified.
This delays the refresh of the form (a few seconds) - thus allowing the workflow to amend the fields before form refreshes so the form will then show the updated/correct column values.
You shouldn't get any save conflicts from then on.

Badge

I have the newest version of Nintex Forms, but I do not have that button to add.  Is there a feature in CA or on the site that I need to enable to get this function?