Is there a way to create a workflow to auto-generate a link to filtered list?

• 9 February 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have 2 SharePoint lists:

1. Projects - lists each ongoing project in group
  2. Project Update Details - weekly updates of how each project is going

I want to create a workflow that will auto-generate a link of each project in List 1 to a filtered List 2 that only has weekly updates for the particular project (e.g. link for Project ABC in List 1 will lead to List 2 that is already filtered only for Project ABC).

Just wanted to see if this is possible.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Yep!

Since you can filter a list using a URL, it makes it pretty simple...

Here's an example:

I have a library called ProjectReports, and in that library, I have a column called Project which displays - you guessed it - the project!

If my project is Rhia Industries, I can actually just enter this in my URL and get that filtered list:

http://sharepointsiteurl/ProjectReports/alldocuments.aspx?FilterField1=Project&FilterValue1=Rhia%20Industries

So what that means is that - in the URL above.. you could use "txtProjectName" (a variable where you grab the project name) to = FilterValue1, and then input that in List2 after you've built a URL out of it.

Let me know if you need some more details...!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

not sure you are aware of that, but it is possible to design custom page with two list view web parts - one for Projects list and second for Details one - and interlink them (eg. based on projectID).

so you can create master-detail view between projects and details within one page. this save you from going back and forth between two lists (and well from developing extra workflow)

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I have done this for companies in the past and it's a great way to approach it - no WF needed!

But hey if you REALLY wanna use Nintex ... we won't stop you wink.png