How to validate name is unique before creating item in separate list?

• 27 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Good day,

I have a form as shown below.

8779iE8F06F30BACF7DAB.png

Application owner is populate from a separate list called appowner which has group name, group email.

If the Application owner name is not shown in drop down list  user chooses other as shown and two new input fields become visible

8780iE7FC82449E090AD0.png

I am trying to save the text fields to a separate list AppOwner and column AppOwnerName and AppOwnerEmail. I have each column set to unique value. How do i do it so when the user click submit it save the text to the other list?

Thank you for any help.

2 replies

Badge +2

Working through things I was wondering could i create an if loop in my workflow to check if Application Owner = other, then once inside the if run block it creates a workflow variable for NewAppOwnerGroupName and NewAppOwnerEmail?

If this is viable i am not sure how i would populate the workflow variable from the text box in the form?

I assume once i have the workflow variable i can use create list item to add it to the application owner list.

Badge +2

Just in case others need this little help (ok it took me a good bit to figure out with banging my head on the laptop but anyways)

What i did to allow the user to add information to separate list was

1. Create rule that unhides GroupName and GroupEmail text boxes, and sets both as required.

2. Once user populates the fields and submits it create the list item with Other as application name.

3. I have a runIf in my workflow that checks for ApplicationOwner = other and if true creates 2 variables from the form data. (I got that information from NintexForumLink )

4. Then moves to the review state machine.

5. If approved using create item a new item will be created with new group name and email in the app owner list and output id is set to work flow variable newItemID.

6. using an update item it takes the newItemId value and updates the application owner to new value.

9001i0B756485FE4A59CB.png9002i5E06B1701DDA4B5A.png

Query XML:

XML source
Existing SharePoint contentContent

‍{Current Item:NFFormData}‍
Advanced Lookup
XPath query
/FormVariables/NewApplicationOwnerGroupName
Advanced Lookup
Return result as
TextInner XMLOuter XML

Query result in
Please select or create a workflow variable

Query first result in
NewAppOwnerGroupName_wfVar

Create List Item:

Target List
ApplicationOwners

The list to create a new item in.
List Item Properties
Please select an item

Select the list item properties used to create the item.
ApplicationOwnerGroupName
‍{Variable:NewAppOwnerGroupName_wfVar}‍
Advanced Lookup
ApplicationOwnerEmail
‍{Variable:NewAppOwnerEmail_wfVar}‍
Advanced Lookup
Output as GUID
Please select or create a workflow variable

GUID variable to store the list item identifier as GUID (globally unique identifier).
Output as ID
NewApplicationOwnerID

Integer variable to store the list item identifier as ID (the value of the ID property of the list item).

Update List Item:

Target List
Current Item

List Item Properties
Please select an item

Select the list item properties used to update the item.
Application Owner
Equals
Workflow Variables

NewApplicationOwnerID