Files Uploaded to Document Library Systematically

• 13 September 2021
  • 20 replies

Badge +3

Is there a workaround for a workflow to start when a system process upload a document to a SharePoint library? I have see a number of posts in the past but no answer. Would a site workflow work? Can I create a WF that triggers another workflow to start regardless of how the document landed in the library?

Regards

20 replies

Badge +8

Hey, u can set the start option like this:

and then under "Bedingungen" set it up like that:

u have to choose something thats automatically filled.

Badge +3

Thank you. I don't recognize the language. Can you translate to English?

Badge +8

When u create a workflow u can set its "start options".

Like when a new item is created or when a item is edited.

u have to set create new element "Yes" and when an item is edited to "conditional" and then click on the button which will appear on the right and set it up like this:

Created "equals" Created ... notice that u have to tick the checkbox to do this.

Badge +3

I am using Nintex Workflow for SharePoint 2013. Looks like you are using a different version. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Configuring your workflow to start on new items (start when item is created) should work, since a file is still an item.

Badge +8

@allan not when the item is created by the "System" user. I had that problem myself.

@hdabbas could u provide some screenshots so we could guide you through it?

Badge +3

Tried that. No luck. The document is loaded by a System Account. The vendor send it thru FTP, the document then transferrers by an automated job to the SP doc lib. 

Badge +3

Screenshots of what? My WF? Regards

Badge +8

Ur workflow settings where u can set the start options. 🙂

Badge +3

Badge +8

Okay.

The option "start when items are created" is fine.

now u have to set the "start when items are modified" to "conditional" (or the name that isnt YES / NO).

if u did this then a button should appear next to it...click on that and make another screenshot (preferable with the dropdown open so i can say which coloum name u have to choose... it should be something with "created")

Badge +3

Badge +8

sorry for the late reply.

u have to pick "created" (upper dropdown), then u have to tick the checkbox "compare to field?" and pick "created" (lower dropdown) again.

after that the workflow should start.

Badge +3

Like This? The WF did not fire. I really appreciate your help.

This the first part of my WF

Badge +8

thats weird.... i have the same set up for one of my doc libraries.

does the vendor sent the document via e-mail? or how does the library gets the document?

with "did not fire" u mean it didnt even start or it got an error?

Badge +3

The file is loaded to the library via automation job. No human intervention. Yes, the WF did not start.

Good Morning

Badge +8

what kind of automation job?

Badge +3

Axway. That's what they call it

Badge +8

Never heard of that before... seems that my workaround only works for emails because they are uploaded by the "System" user aswell.

Badge +3

Thank you. I will try to create a site WF and then I will be able to schedule it to run. Should run regardless. Also we are finally moving to SharePoint Online. We should have other options to try.