Wait for item update based on calculated column?

Badge +8

Hi all,

I have a decent enough workflow going but have run into something pretty confusing.

I have a date column, I also have a calculated column with an formula to determine if the date column is blank (yes/no).

In my workflow, I want it to "wait for item update" in the calculated yes/no column. The problem is, that the column doesn't even appear as an option in the "wait for" drop down. I have deleted the column, changed the formula, readded the column and it just will not show up.

Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong here?

TIA

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The column will not display in a Wait for item update action because it is a calculated field.

I would think about putting some logic in your form that looks at your date field and it is not null, update another field. I generally use a single line of text and hide it from the form. This way I can assess the hidden field and branch my logic that way.

Badge +8

I thought that may have been the problem. Can you tell me what logic I can use in the list to have it look at the date field and update another column?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

So I would focus putting the logic into the form to update a column if there is data in the date column.

This is how I would do it:

In my form, I would add some Javascript into the submit button (I like to create functions because it keeps it less cluttered for me happy.png):

function update()

{

var x = document.getElementById(varDate);

NWF$('#' + varContainData).val(x.value);

}

varDate is the variable name I give to my date field and varContainData is the variable name I give to my text field that I can assess in a workflow.

Here is a sample list of some that I tested on:

178422_pastedImage_5.png

Here is the workflow that is behind it:

178423_pastedImage_6.png

I check to see if containData is empty and go down that branch, otherwise I go down the other branch. You can open the workflow to be triggered on new or updated or even both (just be sure to NOT UPDATE containData).

Hope this helps!

Badge +8

I'm sorry, I'm not really understanding. I'm just an end user. I do not have admin rights. Also, I'm using a list (we do  not have Nintex forms).

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

No worries.

Are you using InfoPath for forms or just the out-of-the-box form that SharePoint gives you?

Badge +8

Out of the box I suppose. I don't mess with the forms, everyone that uses this list inputs their data into the list itself. The workflow is primarily for tracking purposes

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I will have to play around on how to do this via workflow only since forms seems to be out of the question. How are you setting the calculated field now?

Are you able to see if you can get Ninitex forms or at least InfoPath? This would help a ton, but understand your position.

Badge +8

MY IT dept is refusing to allow me to get anything additional. I do have infopath and that is the default form, I just don't require or use it, I'm not opposed to it at all if it will help get this done.

Badge +8

This may work. But by default the date is blank, I'm  waiting for people to enter a date, and if they don't they will get reminders.

A query actually kicks the workflow off, is can pause/loop be combined with a query action?

Badge +16

‌ did you ever find a solution for your problem?