Solved

Extracting Data from Repeating section Inside a List

• 6 February 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have a comment section inside a Form (Nintex forms 2013) for the users to add comments. I made a Repeating section for the comments field, so that multiple users can submit their comments. Inside the List, Repeating section data shows up in XML, with lot of additional texts. Like Below,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><RepeaterData><Version /><Items><Item><textbox1 type="System.String"></textbox1><txtCommentName type="System.String">Vishnu</txtCommentName><textbox2 type="System.String"></textbox2><RepeatedAction type="System.String">Hello mike test 123</RepeatedAction><textbox3 type="System.String"></textbox3><textbox4 type="System.String"></textbox4></Item></Items></RepeaterData>

I created an workflow which will exclude the XMLs and get me only the required data. But with multiple comments, the formatting doesn't look ok. It looks like below,

VishnuHello mike test 123

Is there a better way to Extract Repeating section data, Please help me.
icon

Best answer by renskes 17 February 2017, 14:29

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello,

this article was very helpful for me when I had the same task:

Nintex Forms/Workflow - Parsing Repeating Section Data - Vadim Tabakman 

Kind regards,

Enrico

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what you mean you 'excluded XML'? did you somehow identified XML markups and removed them with string functions?

there is a Query XML action that using XPath expression can address exact XML element you want to get.

see eg example here

https://community.nintex.com/message/46668-re-unable-to-parse-xml?commentID=46668#comment-46668 

if that still doesn't help you could post an example of output you get and what formatting would you expect?

Badge +4

Hi

For use of comments I usually find it easier to use a Multiple Line Text Field.

When you set up this column on the list you have the option to choose append changes to this column.

You only need to add the field once to the form.

Every time someone adds a comment it will append the column with the new information.  

Badge +1

Hi Renske,

Your solution worked for me. Thank You. I have 2 more questions.

1.  I need to count the number of comments that gets append to my form. Is there a way to count the number of comments ?

2. Is there a way to display all the comments in List or in a View ?

Thanks,

Vishnu

Badge +1

Hi Marian,

Thanks for replying on this. As per Resnske's comments, I am using Multiple text lines field with append option.  

Badge +4

Hi Vishnu,

I haven't tried this yet sorry

This link no longer works