SIGO26A
Design Dabbler

Executing Parallel Request Data Actions to update List item

Team,

I've been pulling my hair out and burning the midnight oil for the last 72 hours. I have a great idea to In-Process new employees starting at a high-level and then allowing sub-organizations to receive a notification with initial details using a request data action. The First sub-org will complete the form and submit it. The process works correctly and my list item updates to show the newly inputted data.

My next step is starting a parallel action to Request Data for 4 other sub-orgs simultaneously. After completing the initial Request Data I receive the notification email to the Request Data form and I complete the information. However, this is causing me to receive the error,

The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information

I've attempted running a child workflow within that starts the sub-org workflow but I'm ending up with the same error every single time. I've double-checked and triple-checked my column types but I can't find any discrepancies.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MegaJerk
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Executing Parallel Request Data Actions to update List item

That error can also happen if you are attempting to update an item that has a column set to Unique Values Only (with a value that is not unique... meaning that it will usually succeed once and fail subsequently making it difficult to figure out).

Are you certain that you do not have that option turned on for one of the columns? 

0 Kudos
SIGO26A
Design Dabbler

I do have that turned on for one column that is filled out in the beginning of the workflow. It's not touched the rest of the time. I'll flip it and see if there's any change.

0 Kudos
SIGO26A
Design Dabbler

I disabled the unique values option on my column, disabled all required values and had no change. Then I changed the order of the workflow, moving a sub-organization to receive the first request action and after responding, it was able to submit updates back to the list.

Is there some sort of rule that disallows someone from entering data into more than one request? I'm testing this workflow by putting myself as the recipient of the notification for each phase. Does the "Request Action" require a different person per action?

0 Kudos