Form - multilingual on mobile devices

• 29 June 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +11

Hi, I'm building a form in two languages - English and Spanish. I have created a panel for each language which are hidden depending on which language is selected. I'm pointing the English controls to the same sharepoint columns and the Spanish controls. This seems to be causing a problem. It looks like I need to create two of every control - one for English and one for Spanish.

Please let me know if I have this wrong. I am going to reach the sharepoint column limit. So I'm not sure how best to tackle this issue.

Thanks

Joanne

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

What sort of problem?

You should be able to point more than one control at a column.

Alternatively, can your labels be the only things that get hidden rather than the entire form, dependant on language choice.

Badge +11

The issue only occurs on the mobile form. I can point multiple controls to the same field within the desktop form. However the mobile form only updates the fields for one of the languages as if there is a default setting somewhere. So basically I have four controls pointing at a single sharepoint field. English and spanish desktop form controls and English and spanish mobile form controls. 

Hiding labels is a good idea. Drop down lists and lookups will need their own language fields and controls. I've had issues with formatting and movement when using multiple hide options in the past. Although everything seems to go better if placed within a panel. 

Yesterday I separated out the languages into separate forms to get the job done. I'll have to revisit this problem when I get some time. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Rather than labels, how about storing your label values in a list and using calculated values to perform lookups to the list and pull in the appropriate language? Same can apply for your drop downs if you make them list lookup controls.

Badge +11

That sounds like a good option. Thanks Ryan, I'll give that a go. 

Badge +3

I am having the same issue. I have a very simple form with two languages. I already tried Ryan Greenaway‌ idea. but lookup function is not supported in Nintex Mobile List Look-up function for Nintex mobile .

I've tried all I can think of but I don't want to create separate columns or separate list. this is not handy for users.

got any other ideas?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yes, the lack of runtime lookup function in Mobile is a real issue in my opinion, one that has been raised on Uservoice. Other than creating all the content and hiding the content based on rules, I'm not sure there's a way around this if you are using the app. Would accessing the form through a mobile browser be an option?

Badge +11

Our forms need to work offline, so using the mobile browser is not an option. We will be creating more and more multilingual forms and I can't be creating a form for each language. Seems pretty unprofessional. 

Badge +3

we are thinking now of making accessible through mobile browser for set of specific users. to overcome some issues in design