Solved

EndsWith validation

Badge +1

Hi, We are creating a Digital Good Outwards pass. In form user can add approver (people picker field - in SharPoint list = "Authorized approver")

However only employees can approve.  Directory also contains contractors (name /C) and contracted services workers (name /CS). I want to add a validation in the form that when "authorized approver" ends with "/C" or "/CS" message pops up that only employees an approve the form. I tried with Endswith but this does not work or I did something wrong. 

EndsWith("Authorized approver", "/C")

icon

Best answer by Garrett 20 July 2022, 17:29

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi Karin,

Would the contains() function work you instead of endsWith()? My initial guess is that the endsWith() function is battling against the way SharePoint stores a value for the Person and Group column in the background. I think what you see onscreen for that column is a bit different than the value that is stored behind the scenes. 

Jason

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Karin_EM 

The value in the People Picker field "Authorized Approver" is actually the Login ID.

It doesn't contain the Display Name. As such, your function

EndsWith("Authorized approver", "/C") will always evaluate to False.

Use the userProfileLookup function to obtain the Display Name (which contains the /C or /CS). 

userProfileLookup("Authorized approver", "PreferredName") 

The final function should look something like below

EndsWith( userProfileLookup("Authorized approver", "PreferredName"), "/C")

@JRoberts suggests using the Contains() function. I agree! This is actually better because if the Display Name has a space e.g. "Garrett /C ", the Endswith() function will not evaluate as you intended. 

Again, this would also work but you still need to use the userProfileLookup() function first.

Contains( userProfileLookup("Authorized approver", "PreferredName"), "/C")

Below is a form with the People Picker, 2 Calculated Value fields and their formulas. 

Cheers

PS: Name and Email photoshopped. I don't work for Nintex... yet 

Badge +1
Thank You!
Badge +1
Thanks!
Badge +1
Thanks for your help. It works with contains !