Is it possible to look for conflicting schedule in calendar app?

Badge +7

Hi Everyone,

Is it possible to find conflicting schedule in the Calendar App using Nintex form or Nintex workflow.

What my workflow is currently doing is querying a calendar list and sending all scheduled activity for the whole week.

What I want to happen is to put additional information in my notification that a specific activity is conflict with another activity.

For example:

Maintenance 1 - June 22, 2017 -- 8am to 5pm

Maintenance 2 - June 23, 2017 -- 9am to 4pm

Maintenance 3 - June 22, 2017 - 1pm to 3pm

The logic I need to create in the workflow is, If any time overlap to each other it will be considered as conflict even just by an hour.

Notification Email:

Maintenance 1 is conflict with Maintenance 3

In regards with Nintex Form I don't have any working prototype. But if it is possible in Nintex Form I am open to suggestions.

Regards,

Rogelio

10 replies

Badge +7

It's been hours so it seems this is impossible? sad.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

little patience, holiday season is coming happy.png

basically, you can use one of two approaches

1. use CAML query to identify overlapping events in calendar. you can get an idea of how it might have looking eg here  

it might seem a bit complex at first sight, but advantage of this approach is that is could handle recurring events.

2. brute force way - read in all the events including their start and end dates into collection variables and then within a loop compare single events to each other.

Note that this will not work for recurring events, since this way you will not get them expanded and will just dates of first occurrence.

Badge +7

Thank you ‌. I'll try this approaches.

Badge +7

Hi ‌,

I have successfully created a working workflow. Will the workflow crash if it becomes so big? Because comparing each dates that I queried creates a very large workflow.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

if you were able to publish it, it shouldn't crash due to size at runtime.

but I wonder why it would be so big.

what approach you decided to go with?

Badge +7

Hi ‌,

The workflow I created will read in all the events created and compare them to each other. So if I have 10 events I will use condition to compare 1 item to the other 9 and so on.

Thanks

Rogelio

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

and if one adds 11th, 12th, 13th, etc event you want to always redesign the workflow???

as I said above, you should read in all the events to compare mutually into collection variables.

then, within 2 nested for each loops compare single events.

Badge +7

I still can't visualize it. If you're not that busy it is possible if you can show me a very simple representation of what you are saying? Also, to answer your question if one adds nth number of events I will modify the workflow again.

Thanks a lot.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I've posted a blog with an example and detailed explanation.

have a look here  

hope it helps happy.png

Badge +7

Hi ‌,

Thanks a lot happy.png. This really help me solved my problem.

Cheers,