Solved

Email generated after a renewal date is expected

Badge +4

Hi

Need help to create a workflow to send an email notification to a person/group whom is responsible for a contract when its up for a renewal. To send an email close to the renewal date 10 days before and then another email after its passed.

It needs to work through the whole sharepoint list.

icon

Best answer by cassymfreeman 12 January 2017, 17:51

View original

15 replies

Badge +16

You need a site workflow

ive blogged about them here

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Priya,

‌ is exactly right. Site Workflow is the way to go. Her blog example looks pretty close to what you would be creating. Nice Blog Cassy!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Site level workflow will handle everything you are looking to do, as everyone pointed out already

‌'s blog post goes into details on how you would set it up and build it, but at a high level, you will need the following:

• Query list/library
    • To get the item(s) that are up for renewal
  • Loop
    • To loop through your results, build an context around the item, and then email it out

Hope this helps!

Badge +4

Wow ... great response thank you so much all.

I will look into Cassy's blog and will implement a site workflow. I will keep this thread open just in case I hit into a any problems.

Thanks

Priya

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Sounds Great Priya! If ‌'s blog works out for you, please remember to come back and mark her answer as correct.

Thanks and Regards,

Patrick Kelligan

Badge +11

‌ definitely recommended a solution I would've chose. Site workflow is what you should do!

Badge +4

Hi Cassy,

Just wanted to let you know that i have successfully implemented a site workflow with a few tweaks but its worked.

Thank you so much for your help.

This community is amazing any problems i have had or unsure how to complete a problem I have found the answers here.

Thank you again Cassy

regards

Priya

Badge +16

you are most welcome

Badge +4

Hi Cassy,

How can I amend the workflow to allow for 3 dates.

This is the scenario, its a contract renewal and the workflow sends an email on each reminder date.

I am still thinking a site workflow is best but not sure how to use one workflow that sends an email dependent on the 3 different reminders dates.

thanks for your help in advance

Badge +16

Hi

You could do this in one of two ways:

1. Have the same workflow three times - each one looking at a different date field - all scheduled to run daily
  2. In one site workflow do three separate query lists and for each's

Does that make sense?

If not, shoot us a screenshot of your data (the three dates) and I will mock something up for you.

‌ any other way you can think of?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Cassy Freeman‌ & Priya Chohan‌ - 

If it is three different dates that you need to look for within the same list, I would do one query, find the date for each item, and then if [item_date] == [reminder_date] trigger your notification. You will need to do that for each reminder_date you are looking for (assuming something like [renewal_date]-10, -5, -1, so 10 days out, 5 days out, then the day before).

Doing it this way allows you to do one query, and one loop. You need to add into your loop a Run in parallel action with all the Run if actions, something like this:

Of course, anything else you may need/want to grab from the query you can and add in collection actions, but this allows you to look at one item and see what reminder it would fall into.

Let us know if this is what you were thinking or if i am way off

Hope this helps!

Badge +4

Hi Cassey,

I have produced the workflow 3 times and its worked manually, need to do more testing and see if it works on a daily schedule.

Will let you know if tests are successfull or not.

Thanks again

Priya

Hello cassymfreeman

I Couldn't find your blog post you mentioned please.

Badge +2
For some reason, I cannot find the blog post? It would be most helpful to me

Is there a link to the original blog post anywhere? Thanks