Cascading drop downs and data population

• 22 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +6

I have been working with cascading drop downs with my Nintex form. Still new to the overall Nintex process, so learning along the way. I have researched through the group’s portal, specifically connecting with about 8-9 posts but can’t find exactly what I need help with. They each provide a piece to the solution but need help to get past the finish line.

Simplistically I have the cascading drop downs as this: first drop down has a list of Auto makers: Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, Toyota and the second drop down are Auto Models based on the selection of the first drop down. So if one selects Toyota, the selections would be: Tundra, Sequoia, Prius, Camry, Celica and so forth.

The cascading drop downs connect to lookups, the first drop down has the list of auto makers and the other list has the models and auto makers.

What I need help with is this....I need to populate the answer to both drop downs into an email that I have generated from a workflow. Currently I can populate the answer to the first drop down, but am unable to get the answer to the second drop down to populate. I have tried several different ways, but the Auto Model answer will not populate from this second drop down.

Does anyone have an thoughts? I hope there is a solution within the tool outside of custom JS code as I don't have access to this.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

do you ahve both dropdown connected to list (lookup) fields?

if so then you just need to insert reference to respective fields (Items properties) into mail body.

Badge +6

I had followed the Cascading drop downs and Nintex Forms for SharePoint in building my cascading drop down and so I do have two list (lookup) fields.

With your suggestion, what does that look like visually?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

as I expected, that example do not connect lookup control to lookup list field. therefore value is not available in workflow.

I'd recommend to follow following blog, it suits more to what you want to achieve.

basically, what you need to do is

- drag&drop makers lookup field from 'List Columns' left hand pane

- just the same with models lookup field

- configure filtering condition on models control so that it filters out by makers control

after you do it this way you will notice difference to your current setup so that fields like 'Source list', 'List column name', 'ID connected to' are missing in the control's configuration. these are automatically configured for you in the background.

other check is, when you submit a new item you should see chosen maker and model in list view. Once you see them there they will be available in workflow too.

Badge +6

After a co-worker took a look at the form and workflow we built, we discovered that there was a broken link within the form. After recreating this piece of our form, the information from the 2nd drop down selection populated as designed. We are good to go. Thanks for all of your insights and help.