Error handling

• 11 December 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

MS Flow has a very useful "Configure run after" action that you can configure to run if there is an error in the flow. I can't find anything similar in Nintex Workflow Cloud - how can I get it to alert me if a workflow fails?

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Alice,

Apologies for the late response, hopefully you've found your answer in the mean time!

In case you haven't already, with administrator access:

Head to Settings > Alerts (https://[yourtenant].workflowcloud.com/dashboard/settings/alerts) to set up alerts when workflow instances fail, and the intended audience.

Hope this helps!

Badge +17

So just gonna be honest here. Building a workflow to run after it fails is building a poorly designed workflow. 

Of course you can't design for every use case so error handling is good, but in theory you'd want to build the workflow to fail gracefully, or end in completion by doing something other than just failing. Also alerts can be setup such that if a workflow does fail, then you can get notified to look into that.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I'm here looking for an answer to the same, and I don't think it's necessarily about a poorly designed workflow.

In my case I ask a user if they are an employee or not and if so, ask for an employee ID. With that ID I can query Azure AD to pull info rather than ask the user to provide detail on 10 questions I already have data for. But what if the user enters an employee ID that the AAD query returns zero results for?

Badge +17

@Bards Is the information part of the form or the user profile? Two ways I would do this. First I would capture the info in the form and use UPS to see if the user exists. That just a soft check.

For the workflow, I would run a query against AD and return it to a variable which I believe will be a collection. Then do a run if against the collection to see if it's empty. If not empty run with it. If empty, either search with the name or send a request data to have them submit another ID.

You could run this as a state machine and go back and forth between states until you get a valid ID.

Hope that helps. 
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

This is NWC - is it even possible to to a UPS check before the data hits SharePoint? If so, I would love to know how. Also, just to be clear, the reason I ask for an Employee ID to query AAD with is because the NWC form needs to be available to non-authenticated users, some of which don't have such an ID.

Your second suggestion however is on the money and is what I did: write values from the AAD Query to a collection, check if the collection is empty and if so then take WF Path B (rather than Path A).