Form Cascades & Query List Email Notifications: Flexi Task Assignee Resolved as Blank Text

• 8 February 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Updated 2-8-2018 (new workflow PDF)

We need assistance in debugging and executing what should be a fairly simple workflow operation, or if there is a specific instance of this use-case scenario that we can emulate, please provide link(s) and/or attachment(s).

We’ve been at this for a while now and we would like to get it resolved ASAP. We have not seen anything that is comparable. Some people use For Each/Collection Variable to send to a group. We are sending to individual assignees. A department is picked and two notifications get sent. THAT’S the gist of it. J

IN A NUTSHELL: IT Capability Request Form & Workflow

We want user supplied values from our Nintex form to trigger a workflow to an IT member who will evaluate the contents of that request form submission.

CASE SYNOPSIS: Our form has a pair of fields that are set to cascade via lookup columns in two different lists. When a department gets picked, an email goes to the designated assignee for requests related to that department function. The Initiator also gets an email notification saying that their form has been submitted successfully.

Those Initiator notifications ARE working. The notifications for our “Reviewer” are not getting sent (“varEmailNew” variable currently failing in Flexi Task.)

"The User To Assign The Task To Has Resolved As Blank Text"
"User to assign the task to has resolved as blank text."

We would like to use Flexi Task if possible as the Reviewer has at least four possible outcomes to choose from for project advancement. I believe I have properly configured those outcomes, but the email variable for the Reviewer designee has never passed through successfully.

Flexi Task configuration

In the form choice below, I have chosen myself to be the Reviewer notification recipient as I would like to test completely in a cycle of that role. The Reviewer then completes the second panel of the form (hidden from the user) to record data related to the project request upon receiving the CTA instructions from Flexi Task.

LookupCategory (SharePoint List)

LookupApplication (SharePoint List)

Cascading Form Lookup

*Disclaimer: I'm not actually in Human Resources

QUESTIONS FOR COMMUNITY:

•       What is the simplest way for us to build and configure the email distribution piece to our Reviewers for this simple Workflow?
  •       The form logic pulls from two different List Lookup controls using lookup columns. Should we also be mirroring that logic in our workflow?

TO RECAP:

FORM: User picks department  Department selection is mapped to a Reviewer designee  Form is submitted

WORKFLOW: Receipt confirmation notification is sent to the Initiator upon submission  CTA notification sent from Flexi Task to Reviewer to analyze submission or can be delegated to another team member

Thanks again Nintex Ninjas!

Steve Phillips
Nashville, TN
Intelligent Process Automation Newb

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

it looks like  your both log in history actions write empty message to log.

if they are supposed to record results of query list actions, then the actions do not give results you would expect.

could you post screenshots of their configureation?

have you checked their functionality with "Run now' function?

Badge +2
Workflow Still Failing: New Workflow attached to post, ONE Query List in use.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi, I think that's an issue with the query filter..you should filter on FilterTitle and not on EmailFilter if I've understood correctly what you're doing..

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

as ‌ pointed out, your query list action's filter condition doesn't seem to be correct.

however, looking at your screenshots I'm not quite sure how do you have configured lookups/links between single lists. I would need to see your list fields configuration.

but basically you should filter by the same field as configured for lookup list field

Badge +2

UPDATE: WE FINALLY SOLVED THIS PUZZLE!

As predicted it was deceptively simple. Sadly, we had to wipe our existing form completely and regenerate it from our main SharePoint List to execute it because our form was not fully communicating with that List.

Main Takeaway: You don't need two Query Lists in your workflow, and you don't need two List Lookups to do what we did. You must reference your Choice control from within the main list that builds your form against your List Lookup setup for the purpose of filtering. Previously emulating a widely-referenced Nintex Community post on cascading was our unintentionally self-inflicted obstacle. While this tutorial did show cascading relationships ("State" and "Store"), it did not take into account how to execute workflow Send Notifications based on those List Lookup values. To make matters more confusing, analyzing workflow reporting in SharePoint actually made it look like our flawed solution "worked" in regards to the relationship mapping on both sides of the equation, but the actual Nintex Workflow we were trying to execute repeatedly failed because of the internal/external disconnect.

Very simply stated, you HAVE to have a piece of data "anchored" in that main SharePoint List to make that "conversation" between the internal and external entities work.

Fixed Form Control Stuff
(that was hampering our workflow)

FunctionalCategory: Internal Choice Control
I thought the List Lookup creating the values were going to "map" if I pointed them at each other in the Workflow Designer configuration. NOPE.
AffectedApplication: List Lookup with our email addresses for Flexi Task assignees mapped which are mapped to
sub-categories of FunctionalCategory.