Display loop for each information in Sharepoint

• 16 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi

Is it possible to display loop for each information (multiple fields) in Sharepoint? It seems not possible as the field need to be defined beforehand?

Maybe i could create a list, but can i create a list under the same one from the parent flow?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Are you able to clarify your question.
It sounds like you are looping through a collection that has an object at each index and you would like to display each index as its own row in a SharePoint list is that correct?

Which Nintex product are you using to run your workflow? On-prem, SharePoint Online or Nintex Workflow Cloud?
What SharePoint environment has the list you want to populate?
Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I am looking for a method to post my loop for each information (currently as an individual tasks that run at a component workflow) at Sharepoint as an individual column for each item. Each loop for each task has assignee, task name, task details and due date. Ideally I could put all the information in one column for each task and upon the completion of the task, I could update that in Sp automatically.

The issue i see is that since i have to link a specific column at Sp to a field at Nintex, there is no way i could predict the number of columns that need to be posted at Sp.

The alternatives I could think of is

1. limit the number of loop for each items, i.e. 5 so that I could post up to 5 items as 5 columns in Sp

2. combine all the loop for each items into one big texts and post it into Sp but this would prevent me from posting the status of each task at Sp

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

If I understand you correctly you cannot structure scalable data like that.

You need to have a list of tasks

Then a separate list of loop data, in said loop data you store the task ID as a parent lookup.

Then for each loop you don't update a single item but instead you create a new row or item in the new loop data list. 

Then when you want to collate that data you can just run queries to return into collections and post. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Thanks Jake. This is very helpful.

Two follow up questions please,

1. Do i have to have the query task built in the original parent workflow for it to be displayed in the same row/item?

2. Can i post the status of the task to SP? Do I send something back to the query workflow and post back to the parent list?