Variable dynamic default value.

• 24 February 2016
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

I have a workflow with dynamic approvers based on a value from a list.  I'd like to display the list of approvers (based on the list value) on the startup form to allow the initiator to edit the list.  Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks!

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi Jonathan,

how is the approver information stored in the list, is it a simple user field?

On your Workflow start form you have different possibilities. There is a "Web Request" control you can use to query the values of an item using REST endpoints ("General" category). Additionally there is a "List Lookup" control you can use to display information from a specific column in a specific list. The "List Lookup" is probably much easier to configure but using REST gives you more power.

Cheers

Philipp

Badge +1

Philipp,

Thanks for the response, when you refer to "web request", "List Lookup", are these the normal InfoPath features, or are they Nintex specific?  I'm having trouble finding any documentation that shows anything like this.  Can you point me to any examples, documentation, or tutorials?   (FYI, I'm using Nintex workflow 2010 and InfoPath 2010)

Thanks,

Jonathan

Badge +11

Hey Jonathan,

well the fact you are using InfoPath makes a SMALL difference silly.png

Web Request and Lookup are Nintex Form specific, if you are creating an infopath form you will have to use other controls. For displaying List-Items on your InfoPath form you will need to create a dataconnection to that list first and then bind this dataconnection to a repeating table or any other suitable control on your form.

However, this is not an InfoPath forum so I don't know how much InfoPath will be tolerated here wink.png

See this link as a first introduction: InfoPath – Query Specific SharePoint List Data

If you have a specific question you can also try to PN me.

Cheers

Philipp