Not applicable

Disabled fields submitting

Hi,

I have a situation where  a user selects a value from a list. Based on this selection, one of two fields becomes enabled. The user completes the enabled field and everything is fine. Shown in box 1 below.

However, if the user then changes their mind about the first field, they switch it. Now the second field (which they have completed) becomes disabled and the other one becomes enabled, as shown in box 2. They fill this in, hit submit and now both values appear in the list, which is not the behaviour I am looking for.

How can I clear disabled fields or ensure that they don't actually get used? I need this to work in the mobile version of the form also, so using javascript isn't an option.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
christopheraucq
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Disabled fields submitting

Hi Sarah,

What about an Action If in your Workflow to erase the 'Program to Evaluate' value if Inspection Type is 'Subject Inspection'.

Regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Christophe, but I should probably have mentioned that I am just using Nintex Forms, so there's no workflow!

0 Kudos
pfudala
Nintex Newbie

Hi Sarah,

I may be wrong but I would say that disabled controls are not submitted with Nintex Forms.

"JC" appears in the list item because it was submitted the first time. If you try to change the value on the Edit Form because changing the "Inspection Type", "JC" value in the list item shouldn't change.

Could calculated values be a solution for you?

I mean, disable connection from drop down list and remap it on a calculated value with a such formula :

If(equals(Inspection Type, "ProgEval"),ProgramToEvaluate,"")

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Pierre,

Disabled controls are indeed submitted with the Nintex forms. This is a new item form, never submitted before. And my disabled fields appear after it is submitted for the first time.

Using calculated fields would work, but then it makes it very difficult to use the display and edit forms as you need to use some javascript to copy from the calculated field back to the actual control.

I did really think that disabled fields were, well, disabled completely.

0 Kudos
pfudala
Nintex Newbie

You're right. Always test a bit before committing post

Without JavaScript, I think (re)setting a field won't be available.

What you could do without JavaScript is to use "Validation rules", as for example :

and(not(equals(InspectionType,"ProgEval")),not(isNullOrEmpty(ProgramtoEvaluate)))

Less intuitive for users but...

0 Kudos