Server Error: The K2 Windows Token Service is not running or could not be contacted

Badge +1

When I visit K2 Designer (http://XXXX:81/designer/), I received the error below. 

However I can visit K2 Workspace just fine (http://XXXX:81/workspace/)

I ran the K2 Smartforms Configuration Analysis and that completed with no errors or warnings.

I then ran the K2 Blackperl Configuration Analysis but that generated the warning:  

Failed to start the SPAdmin service.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Server Error

The K2 Windows Token Service is not running or could not be contacted
There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/s4u/70bac758-941e-412a-bcf8-78f818ac9beb that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

More Details
at SourceCode.Security.Windows.WindowsTokenClient.UpnLogon(String upn)
at SourceCode.Security.Claims.Web.WIFExtensions.DistributedSessionSecurityToken.GetPrincipalOveride(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
at SourceCode.Security.Claims.Web.WIFExtensions.DistributedSessionSecurityToken..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnectionInitiator.GetPipeName(Uri uri, IPipeTransportFactorySettings transportFactorySettings)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.NamedPipeConnectionPoolRegistry.NamedPipeConnectionPool.GetPoolKey(EndpointAddress address, Uri via)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.TakeConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOnceManager.CallOnce(TimeSpan timeout, CallOnceManager cascade)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EnsureOpened(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)
Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at SourceCode.Security.Windows.IS4UService.UpnLogon(String upn, Int32 pid)
at SourceCode.Security.Windows.WindowsTokenClient.CallService(Func`2 contractOperation)
at SourceCode.Security.Windows.WindowsTokenClient.UpnLogon(String upn)

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

1.  Are you able to locate the K2 Windows Token Service in "Services"?

Some relevant information regarding this service:

http://help.k2.com/kb001607

2.  What version of K2 blackpearl and K2 Smartforms is currently installed in this environment?

3.  If districuted server configuration, was K2 blackpear/k2smartforms components all upgraded to a matching version?

Badge +1

1.  Are you able to locate the K2 Windows Token Service in "Services"?

I found "K2 Claims To Windows Token Service" service which is currently set to Manual startup type. I started that service and K2 Designer  worked immediately and error went away.

However, I went back and executed K2 Blackperl Configuration Analysis but still received the same warning:  Failed to start the SPAdmin service.

Question: Do I set "K2 Claim To Windows Token Service" to Automatic startup type to avoid this issue in the future?

2.  What version of K2 blackpearl and K2 Smartforms is currently installed in this environment? 

K2 Blackperl is version 4.6.9 (4.12165.1650.1)

K2 Smartforms is version 4.6.9 (4.12060.1640.1)

3.  If districuted server configuration, was K2 blackpear/k2smartforms components all upgraded to a matching version?

I am not sure. What is a districuted server configuration?

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Is this Server previously/also a Sharepoint Central Administration box?  I am not sure why it would try to start the SPAdmin Service.

Regarding the K2 Claims To Windows Token Service, I believe this should have installed with default "Automatic" startup type; as such please keep it "Automatic" as you currently have it configured.

Misspelled "distributed" :) but was referring to the possible configurations (not related to this case):

Server1 (K2 Server, Smartforms Server, Workspace Server)

Server2 (Sharepoint WFE)

Server3 (Sharepoint Central Admin)

Server1 (K2 Server, Smartforms Servers)

Server2 (K2 Workspace)

Server3 (Smartforms Web Apps)

Server4 (Sharepoint WFE)

Server5 (Sharepoint Central Admin)

Server1 (K2 Server, Smartforms Server + web apps, Workspace, Sharepoint WFE + Central Admin, SQL)

As there are interactions between the Smartforms Designer and Runtime Web application and the new "Identity" child web application.