Pause Until ... incomplete

• 1 November 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +11

Hello All,

I have a very fair simple workflow in place where it asks various managers for approval and then before it is finally send to the finance department for their approval > it will have to WAIT until 7 days before the required date of the request.

So, this is how I did set it up:

Required By is a date field where the user inputs the date by which the request is required by

dateRequiredReminder is a variable set as Date/Time

The workflow occasionally stops at Pause Until ... with incomplete message and no further errors or information.

what am I doing wrong here? am I missing any other function?
What can cause the PAUSE UNTIL not to complete and hand there for infinite.

Workaround for me at minute is to upload another wf process and let it run from the Finance Account step.

By doing this, there are 2 wf processes and when I terminate the initial process > the user gets an email about the process being canceled as well as sets the workflow status to CANCELED.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have you checked (written to log) what exact date pause should wait until?

is dateRequiredReminder variable always populated?

Badge +11

Not sure what u mean by if it is populated.

that is pretty much what sets the daterquiredReminder and a basic wait until that variable is met.

in mean time all other requests are using the same workflow ...

check written to log !?

not sure about this one :/

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Not sure what u mean by if it is populated.

if it is not empty for any reason.

check written to log !?

have a look on 'Log in history list' action

Badge +11

Hi

Yes from what I can see there is a log in the workflow task history.

It records when to pause it until ... but then does not imitate on that date.

As already mentioned, the WF works in general pretty good apart from them two occassions.

To safe the hassle of terminating the workflow and re-run it with an updated wf > I have disabled the wait until for now.

Saying this, wonder what process can be implemented so when a WF fails at a particular point > how do I configure it so the current running process refreshes and re-runs from the same spot again???

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you have said above "The workflow occasionally stops at Pause Until"?

what that exactly mean - what's the workflow status?

how much time have you waited after pause until deadline?

have you checked timer job service whether it doesn't experience any problems?

Badge +11

Yes, true ... so far it happened twice and I disabled the Pause Until function to avoid the hassle.

The status remains "in process / running" and actually they are still running and will have to terminate the process.

As a workaround, I had to upload a new WF which continues just after the pause function to complete the process. This also means the initial running process has to be terminated / stopped > which in return sends an email to the user about the request being cancelled / stopped < this is not ideal.

how long I waited??

The calculated function takes -7 from the request date eg. 7/11/2017 becomes 31/10/2017 stored as dateRequiredReminder which is supposed to be triggered. I waited until 1 day before the request date in hope the process will start but no luck ...

have you checked timer job service whether it doesn't experience any problems?

I don't have access to the SP Admin side.
I have asked the relevant group to look into this matter but no response since.

I thought maybe my wf is not set up properly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

as far as I can say, I don't see a problem with your configuration.

I suspect either there is a problem with your infrastructure and workflow is not restarted after the pause elapses, or there might be a bug in pause implementation on 2016.