K2.net Processes from SharePoint 2003 list items

Badge +1
I recently met with a customer who has created a custom web part, into which any list in SharePoint can be loaded. The list is then associated with a K2.net Process and Server, via the webpart properties, and when an item in the list is submitted, it triggers the corresponding process. Has anyone else had this need (using Sharepoint lists as UI for K2), and if so how has it been addressed?

5 replies

Badge +2
Yes, a web part like this would be very helpful for me when integrating K2 and Sharepoint. When could this web part be available?
Badge +1
I am looking at how to trigger K2 processes from user/Sharepoint List interaction at present. I want a K2 process to be fired when a user has edited a list item, changed a specific data field, and then saved the list item.

Early days for my research on this, but if anyone has already done this or knows the theory then please let me know. I assume I either need a K2 thread in the background to constantly check for the event, or Sharepoint to instantiate the K2 process when required....that's if it can be done at all without too much bespoke work....
Badge +4
This appears to be possible using the Sharepoint process template in K2. You have to turn on Event Notifications for the Sharepoint virtual server according to the K2 Studio help file. In theory, this should register K2 as the event handler for whatever events you specify for the particular Sharepoint library.

I've tried to do this with a very simple process. I've tied the Insert, Update, and Check In events for a Sharepoint Document Library to a K2 process that has only one Activity (which has only 1 event - SQL Data). The SQL Event simply writes a record to a database table whenever the event is fired. So far, my table remains empty. It appears that the K2 process is not being fired when I add or edit documents in the library.
Badge +4
It appears that the K2 process is not being fired when I add or edit documents in the library.

It would appear that SPS fires events as the Anonymous user. Try adding Anonymous to the users list and granting the Start permission.
Badge +4
icon-quote.gifdavid.hutson:
It appears that the K2 process is not being fired when I add or edit documents in the library.

It would appear that SPS fires events as the Anonymous user. Try adding Anonymous to the users list and granting the Start permission.

Bingo. That was it. I added Anonymous with Sart permission and it is working.

Thank you.